Chapter 38

"Where are you going now?"

Rhysand would never admit it, but he was having trouble keeping up with her. Between the shock of Amarantha's death and the return of his magic, to how Amarantha had come to her demise-well, it would take a while before he could fully comprehend just what happened. But he did not have time to process his shock-not when everyone else in the throne room was doing so. The High Lord knew that the immediate moments right after the curse broke were lucrative, and an opportunity he just could not pass up. So, while everyone sobbed tears of job, laughed, or stood still in shock and horror, Rhysand had been busy. It was over, he knew, but it wouldn't be long before Hybern acted again. Or when one court would start a war with another. So, the male took precautions. Subtle enough that in the chaos no one noticed. If war came knocking on his door, he'd be prepared. If not, then he'd never have to use the aces up his sleeve. Still, he wasn't naive enough to think that they lived in a utopia where a shared slavery had bonded them together. It was just a matter of time before Tamlin remembered he hated Rhysand.

He did not think anyone realized what he had done, nor when he disappeared from the room. He needed to find the girl, needed to get her before anyone did. The High Lord did not have a plan as he blindly followed her through the corridors, kept pace with her, wondering where the hell she was bringing them.

And then they arrived at the dungeons. Lillian wanted to see Lucien, of all people.

Rhys suffered the indignation of hearing the boy speak and resisted the strong urge to roll his eyes on several occasions. They stayed no more than five minutes before Lillian decided she had enough and went strolling out of there once more.

"Why did you go see him?"

"I wanted to see what he looked like."

Rhys stilled, and then reminded himself that Lillian was certainly special, as well as nonsensical, and he needed to tip-toe around her. Usually, Rhysand wasn't the type to walk on eggshells for anyone, but Lillian was different. She was strong, unpredictable, and seemingly mentally unstable. And definitely someone he did not want to piss off, especially not when he wanted something from her.

"You came all the way to the cells...to get a look at him?"

"Yup."

Breathing in, the male reminded himself to pass up the blatant opportunity to reply with something sarcastic. He swallowed his insult and asked instead, "And where are you going now?"

"I'm leaving."

"Leaving for where?"

"Wherever I want." She shrugged.

Now, he realized. Now was the perfect time. There was no one around to question where the strange fae had gone, no one to wonder why Rhysand had effectively run off as soon as she did. And with no one around, if she reacted violently, no one would be there to witness it.

So, as careful as he could muster, Rhysand said, "How about you come to my court?"

Lillian slowed and then stopped. "And do what?"

"Whatever you'd like. You could stay at my home for as long as you'd like."

He figured he'd try nicely the first time. And if she refused, he'd call in the bargain, and she could do nothing against that. It was probably cruel, he knew, but what other choice did he have? He just hoped Lillian would agree willingly, and not have to force her and have her become a dangerous enemy.

"Sure." Came her simple reply. "But I'm not sleeping with you."

He ignored the mocking, but was shocked at how quickly she agreed. He had prepared himself for negotiation, some manipulation, and if all else failed, pulling out the bargaining chip. But Rhysand had no need because the girl had said yes, without further probing. Lillian didn't ask where, or why, or anything really.

Rhysand had his own questions, of course, but he held himself back. "Excellent," He said instead, and offered his hand to her, anxious to leave lest she change her mind. "Shall we?"

Without hesitation, she took his hand.

Rhysand said a silent prayer, hoping that he had the right decision as he winnowed them out from Under the Mountain.