Chapter 42

He wasn't ready. He did not have time to prepare himself- but that was irrelevant as Mor threw herself at her cousin with a strangled sob.

Rhysand couldn't breathe as blond smothered him, her words intelligible. She squeezed him so hard he swore he heard his ribs crack. But it didn't matter. Not when his cousin was there, embracing him in her arms, reminding him that it was real, she was real, and that Rhysand had survived.

And without meaning to, Rhysand collapsed in her arms. Both of them fell to their knees, and he allowed her to comfort him as he cried.

He buried his head in her neck, echoing her sobs with his own. His hands shook as he held her, as he breathed her familiar scent. This was Mor. His cousin, his family.

Rhysand trembled again and reminded himself that he was free. That he was alive, he had survived, and that he was free.

Mor took his face in her hands and looked up at him in bewilderment, disbelief, relief. "How?"

"It's a long story-"

"Honey, I'm home!" Came the bellowing voice from downstairs.

That loud, cheerful voice could only belong to one person.

There was mirth in Mor's teary eyes, "We're up here," She whispered.

"We?" It took less than a minute for the person to make their way to them. "What-"

Cassian stood there stupefied, eyes wide with astonishment. The Night Court's general looked little more than a puppy. "Mother's Tits,"

And then he engulfed his brother in a suffocating embrace. "You left us waiting long enough, you bastard,"

For the first time in a long while, Rhysand laughed, his arms laced with Cassian and Mor's.

They had moved to the living room, waiting for the rest of the family to arrive.

"I understand you missed me dearly, but I can barely breathe." Rhysand was currently squished between his brother and his cousin, unable to move an inch.

"I'm worried that if I move, you'll disappear again for another five decades." Mor said with an accusatory pout.

Rhys winced, "Right, sorry about that-"

The front door slammed open and footsteps were heard making their way to them.

"Where is he?" Amren asked with narrowed silver eyes before laying them on Rhys. "So you survived, boy."

Mor raised an eyebrow. "How did you know he was here?" And then frowned, "Actually, I don't want to know."

Happy that some things never changed, Rhys chuckled and walked over to his Second, and effectively hugged the tiny female.

"I'm glad you're back."

That was perhaps the closest he'd ever hear to her admit to caring, and he took it with a broad smile on his face. "Me too."

It took him a while to convince them that, yes, he was really there, and no, he had no plans of ever leaving again. Hopefully. After what felt like an eternity, they moved to the living room. The room was spacious, but Rhys was suffocated by his brother, who refused to give him an inch of space. Amren watched the ordeal with a smirk and Mor with mirth.

Eventually, he asked, "Where's Az?"

As if manifesting, the door opened once more. True to his nature, Azriel made no sound as he glided to them.

"Why did you call for me..." His question was answered when his amber eyes locked on Rhysand.

He stared at him frozen, his mouth slightly open- the most emotion he knew his Spymaster would allow.

"Hello, brother." Knowing that he wasn't one for physical affection, Rhysand got up and embraced him. Azriel, however, not only tolerated the hug, but returned it. Tightly they clasped each other's arms, so many unspoken emotions transpiring between them.

"When did you get here?"

"Not that long ago,"

"How...?"

Rhysand released him and looked at his family. "It's a long story, and I'm going to need alcohol."