07

Cassie

I managed to pack one cute outfit:

It's very autumn-like in this town

It's very autumn-like in this town. It rains a lot. It's almost cold enough to snow. I love snow.

"Kiddo, are you ready?" My dad asks, peaking his head into my room. "Yeah." I grab my bag and umbrella before following him outside. "Im gonna take the car. My knees aren't what they used to be." My dad says, entering the car.

We both eventually make it to town square where they have 7 or 8 tables lined up, name cards sitting on placemats, and craved pumpkins on display.

I say hello to everyone, literally, everyone, before finding my name placed next to Hunter and my dad. So that won't be awkward at all. Mayor Fisher steps in front of the microphone, "hello, everyone. Dinner starts in twenty." He says before turning the microphone off again.

I take my seat, and conveniently so does Hunter. I look at my phone, ignoring him.
ME: hey, Sof
SOFIA: hey
SOFIA: how is it?
ME: not bad. Everyone missed me, and I missed them. I just wanna read by the lake I fell in on my 7th birthday but I have to participate in thanksgiving.
SOFIA: be glad. my Thanksgiving is going to be filled with studying.
ME: you should've come!!
SOFIA: did you call him?
ME: I'll do that later. I have high school bullies to deal with. gtg talk later!

I put my phone away as Mayor Fisher taps a fork against a glass. "Thanksgiving buffet is open. There's enough food for everyone no pushing." He announces. I look over to the buffet, where there's already a long line.

I stay seated, eating the bread that was left on the table. "That's a sad thanksgiving meal," Hunter says, sitting next to me. "I'm just glad to be back," I say taking a look around. It's always been hard for me to let things go but this town has to be the hardest.

"Why don't you stay?" He asks. "Are you?" I ask, assuming the answer is no. "Maybe." He shrugs. "You shouldn't. Your are bigger than this town, you should ride out on your death mobile and never look back. You were mean but also very smart. You bigger than this." I say before realizing exactly what I just said.

"So are you." He says taking a piece of MY bread. "That's why I got the hell out of it. I love it but sometimes love isn't enough." I am definitely no longer talking about this town.

Me and Alex.

"I'll go get you a plate, Mary." I laugh, he's incapable of having one good moment. "You know, I'm not a virgin anymore," I say. "Yeah, yeah." He says as he walks away. My dad settles next to me with a very good-looking plate of food. 

"Isn't that... Hunter?" He asks. How do I explain this? "Yes, it is." "You guys are...?" He lets his words linger until I get his meaning. I gasp and my eyes widen. "Ew, dad. No." I clarify as Hunter sits on the other side of me, pushing a plate of food toward me. That's not gonna help my case.