ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 5

"Absolutely not," [Y/N] replied after hearing Soma explain how the food battles work. It was a fairly short and simple explanation if he were being honest.

"Afraid you'll lose?" he taunted, smirking. The only reaction he received was a curt nod. Soma blinked, taken aback by the boy who was seemingly unaffected by his challenge.

"Not particularly, I'd rather help out in the kitchen than have a food battle with you." the [H/C]-haired boy replied bluntly, brushing off Soma's pleads.

The surrounding customers found it a funny sight to see, Soma begging for a food war, and [Y/N] blatantly ignoring him. It was almost new, considering how little people in the district could defy Soma, the extrovert who got almost all of his friends to do something for him. Bless the poor brunette Mayumi Kurase, the main victim of the redhead's terrible creations.

Eventually, the young Yukihira gave up, keeping a grin on his face. He was happy regardless not getting a food battle, but at least he'd finally see his best friend in action in the kitchen. The redhead was ecstatic; he'd never even once seen the young [L/N] hold a knife! Anyone in the room could see how the boy beamed with determination at the unilateral food battle that was about to occur.

'I'm finally going to see [L/N] cook!' He thought, grabbing all of his ingredients. 'Now that I think about it, he's never told me about his work at his restaurant either.'

The customers all agreed to order the same thing, and specifically requesting the newly recruited staff worker. The entire plan of the day was to find out what [Y/N] was like in the kitchen; how well he could cook. No one knew what to expect. The teenage boy wasn't exactly the type of person to do something like this of his own volition.

"Hey, you almost done over there?" the redhead called out to his friend, peeking over his shoulder.

His golden eyes widened, jaw dropping so slightly, it looked as though he weren't gaping at all at his friend. Soma frowned in a mix of confusion and concern at the sight. Never once had he seen someone stare down at something with so much hatred.

[Y/N]'s upper and lower jaw were so tight together; it was almost as if it were locked shut. [E/C] eyes flared brighter than the flame of the stove its owner was using. Suddenly, his jaw unlocked with a quick glance at the clock hanging on the wall.

"15 more seconds," he replied as he would in a normal conversation. His friend would've thought nothing was wrong at all had he not turned around. "Pass the salt, Yukihira."

"...right," was his only verbal reply, handing his friend the salt.

That was their only communication exchanged with one another in the kitchen that night. 

A/N: Soma's probably gonna find out eventually and pull some bs main character line like, "im gonna make you say you love cooking!!" or whatever