ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 17

A redhead boy sat on a hill, just outside of the Totsuki Academy grounds. Beside him stood his best friend, the only one in their exam room who passed the challenge to get into Totsuki.

They hadn't spoken a word since they left the campus, not having to say anything aloud to communicate and process what had just happened.

Afterall, they both knew they would've sacrificed anything to ensure they both could attend that school, even if they weren't in the same class.

Yukihira sighed, shaking away his blank dumbfounded expression.

"I... failed," he spoke, breaking the blanket of silence that used to drape the duo. "Now what?"

[Y/N] only bit his lower lip, unknowing what to say in this situation.

"Maybe we could reason with the headmaster," the [H/C]-ette muttered, trying to come up with solutions to their predicament. "Nakiri was clearly biased and not to mention she was rude as well."

His friend only sighed, shaking his head. He didn't want [Y/N] to do anything and possibly expel himself too; it would be terrible if they both failed the exam, at least one of them got in.

"Nah, I'll figure it out," the redhead yawned, dismissing all the suggestions the [H/C]-haired boy sent his way.

"You better," his friend shot back immediately, anxious enough to know that he'd have to not only speak in front of a crowd, but also lack the presence of his one and only best friend.

'I don't know what I'd do if I had to be all alone at Totsuki,' [Y/N] bit his lip, a habit he picked up when he grew nervous. 'I don't want to be alone in a kitchen again, not without Yukihira.'

Finally, Yukihira sighed, letting out a groan as he stood up and stretched his legs. Now that both boys were standing, [Y/N] didn't have to crane his neck to look down at the previously sat redhead.

"Hey, let's go home." The boy yawned, throwing his arms in the air for a long stretch.

The [H/C]-ette only pursed his lips, conflicted of the emotions rising within.

Of course, he wanted to go home, but the thought of having to do anything that wasn't by the young Yukihira's side made him tense at the thought.

"Okay," he spoke, feeling as compliant and obeying as he did when Tatsuki left.

It was like he was a child all over again, in the empty kitchen of the [L/N] restaurant, and in the aftermath of one of his mother's tantrums. Lost, confused, and his only way to handle or cope with it was to be as compliant and unquestioning as he could be.

Only [Y/N] could look at the perfectly healthy and calm relationship between himself and his best friend and say it was fragile. So, not wanting to say anything that could possibly resort in any tension, he settled for a simple, "Okay."

Admittedly, it was a nice change from saying, "Yes ma'am,' whenever he opened his mouth to speak. However, despite the pleasant change, he still felt unsatisfied; a part of him feeling discontent and upset at the Yukihira.

[L/N] [Y/N] wants nothing more in life than to be heard and listened to; for his comments and mentions to be recognized and taken into consideration.

His friend hadn't realized it, but Yukihira Soma just brushed off the boy, creating the first line of tension between the two.

A/N: omg guys oh no theyre not gonna be gay lovers oh nooooo DD:

also sorry for the short chapter, been busy suffering from an incurable disease called theater kid </33