Let Her Back

He thought it would be easy.

Rene thought that everything is indeed fair. When all seemed bleak, he really thought the end would be okay.

Rene worked as a researcher in a marine facility based in Papua, Indonesia. He's really fascinated with the Leatherback Sea Turtle, and keen on researching the species.

He flew to Papua and already stayed there for about a month. He got a mission to learn the local animals as well as learning the culture of the people.

Working abroad felt easier when he was assigned within a team. A team that is tasked to research the Marine ecology of Raja Ampat, a famous beach in Papua.

He and his team went to the beach, and was led by a group of locals to guide them to the best site to see the marine life. One of them, was the beautiful surfer Talitha. Talitha was super nice to him, that it made him felt a bit starstruck. Talitha was being nice to everybody.

"Hey, Mr. Rene, wanna go together later?" Asked Talitha when they were finished researching. "Ahh, where?"
"There's a cafe nearby. I'm sure you'll love it."
"Okay. Should I ask the team to join?"
"Ohhh no need! It can be just the two of us. Is it okay?"
"Ahh, okay. I'll keep my mouth shut then."
She smiled, and they both went to the cafe.

It was not as warmful as he expected.

He thought, that after this, they both will be exploring the area together. Maybe enjoy the sunset, or playing music and having fun on the most beautiful beach. It was to no avail.

Turns out, Talitha just wants to learn biology.

It was her aspiration to become a marine biologist. She loved the local animals. And here Rene thought nothing as such.

"Okay, so you need to do this to become a marine biologist."
"What?"
"You have to," he continued.
"Run as fastly, and as freely as you can in your favorite beach. Just be free."
"Are you kidding me?"
"Trust me, you'll gain a lot of love after it."

His workload is very tough. Turns out, the university asked his team to make a detailed report of each species found in the area. It was not easy, as they have to go home next month.

Talitha tried her best to help the team, but she also had to go to lessons and such. The team is overworked and felt very tired. The job even make one of the members left.

It turns out, that Rene never found any Leatherback Sea Turtle there. It felt harder, when Talitha only used him to get further away from her bethrothed boyfriend from the village.

It was never real.

Every one of it.

The Leatherback Sea Turtle swam freely in the Indian Ocean. Making it much harder, for someone to get any information about it. The Sea Turtle beached in one of the places nearby.

Fear of the hunters, of being hunted.

Knowing that nothing is really fair enough.

They go, to the place where people can't see, and can't act as freely as they want to be.