Chapter Twenty

~

Recap; 

And that's why as I hold onto Holten and celebrate our next step in the relationship between us, I shed a tear for the severed connection between Caden and I because as of now that door is closed.

Or is it?

~

Chapter Twenty 

I sit in the office, typing up the last of an email when my phone dings with a message. 

From Helgs; 

Do you want to go to Mystic Lair? 

To Helgs; 

When? 

From Helgs; 

Now? 

To Helgs; 

I'll see if it's okay with Holten

I put my phone away and glance up at Holten, to see him concentrating hard at his computer screen and smile softly, "Holten? Can Helga and I go to Mystic Lair? I was actually hoping to try my first match tonight." I ask, unsure and with my heart in my throat. 

No matter what was going on between Holten and I, he was still my boss and had the overall say on where I could go during work hours. 

"Of course, just make sure the email is sent to the director to second, I really don't want Alfred on my ass again," Holten says with a brief glance up.

"Absolutely," I say, pressing the send button and shutting everything down.

"Samson. Pack up, and then home." I say as Samson jumps right up, whining slightly when he bumps his rear end on the corner of my desk.

Perhaps it would be best to leave him at home while I go out. 

I pack up my things and on the way out of the office, I noticed Samson had a slight limp, he favored the left leg more and looked down every so often as he picks up the lame paw, examining it. 

I should have just dropped him off at home, made him a nice hot supper, and left him there to recoup. Guilt swims in my gut and makes my heart drop to my stomach. 

I am on my way out the door when Holten's voice stops me. 

"Wait, did you just say you are hoping to do your first match?" Holten's surprised voice takes me aback and I spin around to face him. 

"Yes, you should come. I am Huntress." I say spinning around with a smirk as I see Holten's lips tumble open in surprise. 

The drive back to my house didn't take as long as expected and I reached the warm comforts of home in no time, pulling up into the parking lot with an over-excited and squealing Samson. 

I walk into my dark and quiet house, and close the front door behind me pointing to Samsons bed in the far corner, "Samson, bed." I said. 

Samson trots over to the bed and lays down in a ball, instantly closing his eyes and relaxing his body. Good, he can sleep for a while. It might do him good. My heart tugs in my chest upon glancing at my companion. 

Samson was my everything, I need to be more stronger so I can protect him just as fiercely as he has protected me, I need to make sure something like this will not happen again. He was partly the reason why I am getting training from Caiden and trying for my own legacy at fighting.