Chapter Twenty-Three

-
Recap;

I first noticed Scarlett, her still decked-out face was smug and had a glow to it, one that screamed victory as people started whispering.

Why can't I ever get a break from evil conniving people?

-

Chapter Twenty-Three 

"I know how it looks folks, but Scarlett and I actually got a divorce almost a year ago, we just hadn't told anybody. Raven and I have been dating for quite some time." Holten speaks beside me, his voice sending shivers down my body, goosebumps rippling over my skin.

"Why would you guys keep it secret?" One woman asks a voice that remained faceless as it came from the gathering crowd. 

"Backlash from the public mostly," Holten shrugs his shoulders, "We had personal issues we had to deal with, we tried and it turned out we weren't meant to be." He says.

"Is this true Scarlett?" Another person asks. 

I turn glancing at Scarlett, her face had completely fallen into surprise, her blue eyes gleaming with surprise and her mouth open in a small o shape, my heart rate accelerated as I held my breath momentarily. 

It all depends on what Scarlett says and what she brings forth to the public, she could lie, play the victim or tell the truth and accept that Holten had moved on.

"Well...Yes for sure we had some issues to deal with, and yes we tried, but we got divorced, I didn't really know how to tell all of you, but yeah it is true...I have got to go now, but tomorrow night Red Bullet returns!." Scarlett says, shrugging her shoulders and walking away with a big smile plastered on her face.

As she passed by to get to the staircase, Scarlett purposefully bumped into my hip with her own, leaning close to give me a probably-for-public eye hug, her arms wrapping around my body and her mouth leaning close to my ear. 

"You're going to be seeing a lot more of me than you think Little Huntress," Scarlett sneers in my ear, the tone hitting my eardrum just wrong and making me cringe. 

Scarlett gracefully straightened up to continue walking by without anyone noticing, whereas my hip bone stung from the impact, no doubt bruising and my heart accelerated for a whole different reason now.

Hate. 

I really really hated this woman and it had nothing to do with Holten now, this was completely different. I did not like her attitude, her smugness, and the way she carried herself, as if she was all that. 

Being rich and having fame does not make you above the world. 

And her nickname for me! What the hell...I don't know what I did to this woman, but she chose to be my enemy for whatever reason, and I was not backing down. 

The crowd gave me conflicting looks, some were open to the idea, some were closed with sneers upon their faces, their lips curling and some had flat-out widespread smiles on their faces. 

"I am sorry for this upsetting news for some, I know Scarlett is a champion and favored by a lot, I am not trying to anger anybody, I am just trying to have my own happiness..." I say, my voice wavering but I gulp in a pause in my sentence, my voice now was once again strong.

Although I showed a confident and calm bravado on the outside, on the inside, my nerves were shot to shit, I could barely breathe, my heart was beating erratically in my chest and my hands were starting to shake, "...You see, Holten and I met at a bachelorette party for my childhood best friend who had been engaged to a man I slept with only once, he left abruptly, I fell in love and had struggled to move on throughout the bachelorette party...In comes Holten, the man who could really make me happy, so people, ladies especially, please I ask you, what would you do?" 

"Goodnight folks, I'll see you tomorrow night," I say, turning around with a smile as gasps could be heard through the crowd and murmurs started making themselves known as whispers floated around the room.

I feel Holten's hand wrap around my left hand, fingers intertwining into my own as I walk away, my heart explodes in warmth, and my skin tingles feeling Holten's scorching skin against my own, "I'm going to go home for the night, do you want to come?"I ask, feeling Holten swing his arm around with my hand still locked in his and wrap around my shoulder, my arm coming around and back enclosed in his while we walk.

"Do you even have to ask Trainwreck? Of course, we can have our own little celebration for your first win." Holten says nonchalantly, but the dropped octave in his tone suggested something more wild than normal for a celebration. 

My core tightens with anticipation and my heart picks up speed just thinking about what Holten had in mind.

Holten Harrison has become a man I have come to appreciate so much, he is so kind and he has such a big heart.

It is truly insane that we clash so well, being very different. I wouldn't trade what we share for the world, but there is only one problem...

One teeny little person is now standing in the way of me being happy. 

Once again, I am yet again challenged by a conniving person.

Only this time, she's not my best friend.

But, instead...

It is Scarlett fucking Jones.