Chapter 43

I was the youngest death eater that came to be and now, I just found out that Draco was the next. I sat beside him at the feast.

We had no interest what was going on. We both had a big responsibility for the approval of the dark lord.

I looked up at the professor's table to see Severus looking my way already. He had that concern look in his eyes that no one ever seem to spit.

'Very best of evenings to you all'. Everyone went silent and looked at Dumbledore. 'First off, let me introduce the newest member of our stuff, Horace Slughorn'. I looked over to a man at the table that stood. 'Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to say, had agreed to resume he old post as potions master'.

I glanced at Severus.

'Meanwhile, the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts will be taken by Professor Snape'.

'Snape'? I heard students whisper. The Slytherins clapped but me and Draco did nothing of the sort.

'Now as you lnow', Dumbledore continued. 'Each and every one of you was searched upon your arrival here tonight and you have the right to know why. Once there was a young man, who, like you, sat in this very hall. Walked this castle's corridor's, slept under this roof. He seemed to all the world a student like any other. His name? Tom Riddle'.

The students started to whisper to one another.

'Today, of course, he's known all over the world by another name. Which is why, as I stand looking out upon you all tonight, I'm remained of a sobering fact. Every day, every hour, this very minute perhaps, dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle walls but in the end, there greatest weapon is you. That's something to think about. Now off to bed. Pip-pip'.

'That was cheerful'. Draco got up.

'Can't get more cheerful than being one of them', Draco said sarcastically and I nodded. 'How did you do it? Survive everything. You got your mark earlier than me'.

'It's Professor Snape. When he protects you, let him. But now it's time for me to return the favour'.

'Professor Snape protect you'?

'Draco, take it. If he chooses to protect you too, don't push him away. I know it's... humiliating but it was my chance of surviving'.