Chapter 6

POV: Reed

Avery and I waited anxiously on the downstairs sectional for Sloan's arrival. I'd just come off of a 32-hour shift at the hospital, but I didn't care about my extreme fatigue.

The woman I loved was not only alive but about to enter through those doors. The world could've ended, and I wouldn't have noticed. My normally steady hands shook as I looked down at my phone for the hundredth time, checking Deacon's location. They were almost here.

This was one of the few times I wished I could drink, but I was on call. With any luck, Sloan would be too impressed by my line of work or the house to notice my nerves.

"Sumner is on his way," Avery informed me. Somehow, he looked even more nervous than I felt. I watched him walk over to the wet bar and pour himself another shot of whiskey, feeling envious that he had a way to take some of the edge off.

Both of us looked up when we heard a set of keys enter and turn the lock.

I thought I'd readied myself to see her, but nothing could've prepared me for the sight of her.

Sloan was tucked into Deacon's side, a pretty blush on her cheeks. I was too caught up in those verdant eyes to feel envious of his proximity to her or the way his arm banded possessively around her back and narrow waist.

I rose from the sectional and swept her into a tight embrace. She smelled like blooming jasmine, her body fitting perfectly against my own. I leaned back to survey her, tucking a stray lock of hair behind her ear.

"Good to see you too, Reed." She chuckled, and the sound nearly brought me to my knees. Deacon hadn't explained exactly what had happened to her, but I knew she'd been through hell since vanishing without a word ten years ago.

"God, I missed you, baby."

"Missed you, too. All of you."

Finally, I released Sloan and stepped aside, letting Avery have his moment with her. Deacon and I merely smiled at each other. Our girl was back, and nothing could take that away from us.