Happy

Storyline: Natsu is going to propose to Lucy.

***

Natsu sighed for the umpteenth time as he wandered through the jewellers along with Gray. Unsurprisingly, it was the man at his side pissing him off - not the lack of suitable rings.

"Can't believe you finally grew a pair, Ash for Brains," Gray laughed as he slapped his back. Natsu cast him a dry look before looking back down at the rings.

"Ice Freak, can you just shut up for five minutes and help me?" he hissed as he gestured at the shitty rings on display. No way was any of this good enough for Lucy! He had a million jewels coming out of his ears with all the money he and Happy had saved. He didn't notice the way Gray's face dropped a little when he voiced his frustrations.

"Natsu, you're seriously overthinking this to a stupid extent," Gray sighed and took a step away from the glass case that protected the precious rings. Natsu looked up when Gray called him Natsu. Gray didn't do that often.

"What do you mean?" he asked, narrowing his eyes. Gray sighed again.

"This is Lucy we're talking about here." The raven-haired man said in exasperation. "Just because she grew up with materials in life doesn't mean that that's what she's expecting you to give her. Just get her a ring that looks right. Quit eyeing the price tag and worrying that it's too cheap."

Natsu released a long breath and shrugged hopelessly. "I can't think of another way to tell if it's the right ring, man."

Gray grinned, slapping his friend shoulder again. "That's the easy part, Fire Breath. You just need to find the ring that looks like it was made for her. Then you've got it in the bag."

Natsu arched a brow at him but nodded anyways, looking at the set of rings with a different perspective.

They weren't that bad, he though idly. His jaw dropped open when his green eyes landed on a certain ring.

It was different than the rest. The ring itself did not actually meet to make a circle, instead the band of the ring didn't meet and instead cradled the beautiful tear shaped diamond between them, one at the top of the diamond, the other at the bottom. It was so unique and beautiful. Just like Lucy.

Natsu nudged Gray somewhat aggressively as he gestured at the ring. Gray's lips curled into a grin at his friend's expression as he called the jeweller over.

***

Natsu shook the rain off his coat as he entered the apartment, the ring case feeling like it weighed a hundred stone in his pocket. He jumped when Lucy came from the kitchen to greet him. He suppressed the urge to grab the ring from his pocket and throw it across the room.

"Hey Lucy," he managed, and he hugged her in attempt to hide his face knowing full well she'd notice if he was being off.

Too late. She pulled away, frowning up at her boyfriend suspiciously.

"You're being weird," she stated. "What did you do?"

"Nothing!"

"Then why are you acting shady?"

"I am not actin-"

"Natsu."

"Lucy," Natsu groaned and rubbed his face tiredly. "I just had a long mission – Erza couldn't go so I was stuck with the Stripper and the train journey was hours."

At that Lucy cooed and hugged her boyfriend sympathetically, missing how he sighed with relief against her neck.

"Anyways, dinners on and the shower is that way," she said, pointing over her shoulder. Natsu cast her a dark yet playful glance.