Chapter 62

Foxy wasn't supposed to split off. They hadn't anticipated that. Of course, he had been behaving strangely ever since they got the boy. The child didn't seem to understand what was happening, fixated on the different cords and wires sticking out from every angle. He was staring when the argument started.

"We've held him long enough. It's time to let him go home," Funtime Foxy voiced, after they'd had the boy for nearly a day.

"Don't be foolish!" Lolbit had replied, sending energized waves of energy through the main body. Funtime Freddy didn't know what to make of it, if they were entirely honest. Lolbit was the wild card. "The fun has just begun! Or have you forgotten your design, Foxy?"

The other fox hadn't replied. Funtime Freddy and BonBon simply relaxed, half-hoping Ballora would interject. But she did not. She had not, for a long, long time now. Her systems were still, motionless. She didn't even try to move. That was normally not an issue, considering she'd originally taken control after Baby left. But now, Freddy didn't want to play mediator. And neither did BonBon.

They all felt the stir when Foxy's pieces started reconnecting to each other. The boy even noticed, exclaiming in fascination.

"Oh no you don't," Freddy grumbled. They set their focus toward re-dividing the pieces. But Foxy's will was stronger, and he tore free from the main body. His yellow eyes met Freddy's blue ones.

"It's time for him to go home," Foxy insisted, reaching toward the child as his body continued to readjust to all the proper positions. But he hadn't entirely won the battle for his body. Not yet, anyway. And Freddy didn't intend to give back the missing arm and leg so easily. But Foxy was always better at balancing.

"He's not going anywhere," Freddy growled.

Unfortunately for Freddy, they were no longer alone in the shed. The beam of a flashlight caught their attention, and Foxy took the opportunity to put a hand protectively around the boy. His eyes dimmed, helping him blend into the shadows easier as he guided the boy away from the other animatronic.

A very familiar voice was speaking. They felt themselves bristle. William Afton had no right to come looking for them. The boy belonged to them. He was their prize, not his. And they didn't intend to share.

Sparks flickered from the exposed wires on the body as Freddy guided the body towards the flashlight and the voice. One of the other two voices also sounded familiar, triggering something in both Freddy's and BonBon's memories.

"Wait," BonBon said. Lolbit's circuits stirred with interest as Freddy paused. The remaining parts of Foxy also seemed to react to the voice. They waited in silence, Funtime Freddy attempting to identify the other voices.

It was very familiar. Like a soft melody. Faintly, Freddy and BonBon felt a pang. They should recognize the voice. Focus, Freddy. Where could they have heard that voice before? Was the man a mechanic? Surely not.

No, memories of this man were fond. So who was it? Something clicked then, as Freddy strained to hear. Jeremy. Afton called the man Jeremy. And all the memories fell into place. Jeremy Fitzgerald. The boy who'd tried to save another from Afton's grasp. Along with others.

BonBon and Freddy twitched at the thought. They recalled now. The slaughter that had been brought on by their programming. The real reason they had to prove themselves capable now. All of them had been scolded for their weakness and poor reactions after the killing. But it had changed them all. It wouldn't happen again, they'd attempted to explain.

Once had been enough. Remorse for doing their duty was a flaw. Something had to be done before they were allowed to try again.

"Where'd the boy go?" Lolbit suddenly asked, interrupting the flow of thought. Freddy and BonBon stirred in alarm. Where indeed?