Chapter 9: Playing God

I slowly crept back into the house, hoping the sleeping herbs I snuck into Ambrose's stew were helping him rest still. His body needed to recover before he could even consider using magic again. Even my body ached from the sudden increase in usage since Ambrose arrived here. I slowly pushed the door to his room open and smiled when I saw him sleeping peacefully in the moonlit room. I gently closed the door leaving him to hopefully happy dreams.

I turned and trudged to my own room. Sleep and I were always in an on-again, off-again relationship, but tonight there was no pushing off the rest I desperately needed. I stood in front of my mirror and was shocked by the red veins visible in the whites of my eyes and the dark circles rooted underneath.

I kicked my boots off and pulled my shirt over my head, tangling my hair as it fell down and brushed against my bare back. I reached behind my back and unclipped my black bra, instantly feeling relieved. I slipped out of my brown mud pants, grabbed my white nightgown from my dresser, and pulled it over my head.

Once I was finished getting ready for bed, I threw myself onto the center of the giant comforter, sighing as I collided with the soft surface. I stared at the wooden logs holding my home together as I contemplated if I could go one more day sleep deprived, but my body made a choice for me almost as quickly as my head crashed into the pillow. My eyes closed, and I was dragged into the peaceful darkness.

My eyes fluttered open as a bright light blinded me. I reached to pull the blanket off of me, but instead of my bed, I was resting in the middle of a moss-covered forest floor. I sat up abruptly, taking in all my surroundings. This place had an energy I hadn't felt in forever, magic, not just any magic, Fae magic.

As I looked around, I saw the Ekhala Willow, a tree native only to Amathara. Rumored to house the souls of Fae who are waiting for their eternal pair to die to be reborn. I saw so many plant species that I thought went extinct in the Fall that I was convinced I was dreaming.

"Juniper, where are we?" I heard Ambrose's voice from behind me.

I spun to face him. "Ambrose?" I asked, shocked. "I'm not sure, but this place looks exactly like Amathara." I said, taking in the beauty of my surroundings.

"It has been quite some time, hasn't it?" A woman's voice emerged from under the Ekhala Willow.

I grabbed Ambrose and pulled him behind me as I spun to face the mystery woman. Once I was face to face with her, I knew who she was instantly, Gaia. Her dark brown skin radiates a golden aura, making her look ethereal. She wore a dress that appeared to be made of moss and vines clinging to her figure perfectly. There were beautiful pink Diosa flowers scattered throughout her luxuriously coiled hair that fell to her collarbones.

I fell to my knees and placed my fist across my chest. "Goddess Gaia, it is an honor to meet you." I exclaimed, and I signaled for Ambrose to copy me.

"Rise, my children." She said, gesturing upwards with her arms.

I slowly rose to my feet and faced the being in front of me. "Where are we?" I questioned.

She smiled. "With the last of my magic, I was able to create a small sanctuary to survive in. I hope it feels like home."

A million questions swirled through my mind, but I was too distracted by the beauty of the Amatharan nature all around me. This can't be real. How I wish it were real.

"I heard you, Juniper. I heard your screams tonight, and you released enough magic energy for me to summon you here, but we don't have much time." She informed.

I held Ambrose's hand tightly as we walked beneath the surrounding trees while my white nightgown dragged against the forest floor.

"Why did you summon us?" I questioned.