Chapter One

I almost thought about heading to the movies to make sure Ponyboy had someone to take him home but he would just tell me he could do it by himself with a roll of his eyes so I ended up just going down to the DX to see Soda. I never minded that my brother was a lady's boy. In fact, I joked with him about it every time someone came just to get a good look at him. As usual, my bookbag had rocks inside so that meant I had a ton of homework but I didn't care. I would just work on it while Soda fixed the cars. A lot of people confused us for twins but in my opinion, I couldn't agree more. We're both known for our good looks and sometimes even greasers confuse me for a Soc. I'm lucky I'm not. I'm happy not jumping people and I've learned to defend myself from the Socs at a young age.

I knew fully that my oldest brother Darry would not be impressed that I walked here by myself but at least he seems to like me better than Pony, just not as much as Soda. It was impossible not to like him. He had a heart like no other, one of the many reasons I trust him more than Darry. We shared just about everything growing up. We even shared birthdays. He was exactly a year older than me but because I skipped a grade, Soda and I were always in the same grade and were treated like twins up until he dropped out. We haven't seen each other as much but he still lets me come to the DX and work on homework or help him out there. He even taught me how to drive last month. Dad always talked about how excited he was to teach us but he only got a chance to teach Darry. Mom and dad died in an auto wreck a couple years ago so all four of us get to stay brothers and sisters as long as we behaved. I was the most cautious. If Soda and Pony would be separated from me, they would most likely be together. I, on the other hand, was guaranteed a spot in a girl's home far away from them.

The street in front of me was as familiar as ever. I had been on this street a million times. Heard the same Socs attempt to flirt with me but call all the other guys in the gang 'greaser.' They weren't lying though. We were greasers but at the same time, it was embarrassing having to be made fun of everywhere we went. All of the kids at school that does know, use the same idiotic catchphrase that I can't be a greaser because I'm a girl like they expect me to act perfect and elegant like the Socs. One look at me proved I wasn't a Soc but apparently, they all seemed to be the stupidest people literally to ever exist. On the other hand, I am the only girl in the gang but I'm what most people like to call a tom-boy. Even Dallas Winston, the delinquent of our group, has admitted that I was the second toughest person in the gang--next to him, of course. I'm the second youngest of the gang next to Johnny and Ponyboy, Pony being the youngest at the age of fourteen.

Before I knew it, I had reached the DX gas station and went inside, the bell jingling at the sight.

"I'll be right with you!" a voice I recognized as Soda's buddy Steve Randle called to me. He was probably fixing a car.

"Steve. It's Aileen," Soda called back. I could hear him apologize and I accepted it. Soda gave me one of his big goofy smiles. He was always so positive and just wanted people to be happy, one of the things I wish I could see in myself. "Hey, sis! How was school?"

I shrugged. It had just been a normal day, Socs beating me at basketball which was hard to do with my large build, enjoy a couple gang fights here and there, and try to stay out of trouble.

"Do you have any more Sprits?"

He chuckled and nodded. Pony and I loved our pop but he was a huge fan of Pepsi and me basically any kind. I had brought money just in case but I didn't even have to pay for it. Benefits of having a brother that works at a gas station. It was then I noticed the girl sitting on the counter nearby him--his girlfriend Sandy, a pretty girl who seemed nice but something seemed off about her. I waved politely, her giving me a big smile.

"Hey Aileen," she said in her soft, beautiful voice. She was a blonde with butterfly clips in her hair, nothing like my hair. I couldn't believe it when Soda told me she was a greaser. She looked nothing like a greaser. I went to the back to greet Steve and see if he needed any help. He gave me a small smile when he got up.