RUN! Excerpt

AN:  A toned-down version of this story was previously posted and is one of many short stories now available to read on Amazon!

TALIA

Jogging along the dimly lit path at dusk, I checked my phone, feeling it vibrating against my thigh. Retrieving it from my pocket, I grinned, seeing a message from Drew. I swiped my thumb across the screen and read over the words:

-Hey, Babe. Something came up. I won't be home for dinner, just giving you a heads up. Enjoy your run.

"Seriously, that's the fourth night this week!" I squeezed my phone and threw my fist in the air as my feet stalled their movement.

I understand. Thanks.

-Great. Love you.

My eyebrows knotted, reading his reply.

Love. The word was thrown around frequently whenever it served him.

Huffing hot air through my nose like a raging bull, I pecked my passive-aggressive text along the screen.

-Love you too.

With my eyes glued to my phone, I sprinted down the leafy trail. Over the last few months, I had created a nightly routine of running before sunset. He knew this. It made sense he would assume I was here. A few seconds later, my phone buzzed.

-Send Daddy a picture of what you're wearing.

Strange request, but okay.

Slowing my pace, I rushed my fingers through my strawberry-blonde hair, fixing my ponytail. I held my arm out, smiled at the camera, capturing a photo from the waist up, and hit 'send.'

-Is that my hoodie?

Yeah.

-Blue hoodie and gray shorts. Don't you look adorable? Annoyed with his small talk, my feet stopped, texting him back.

Don't you have work to do?

-I was taking a break catching up with my baby.

Well, you're interrupting my run. So, I'd like to get back to that. If you don't mind.

The sound of a tree branch snapping off in the distance caught my attention.

"Damn squirrels," I grumbled, hearing my phone chime.

-Language, Talia.

-Need I remind you whom you're talking to?

Talia.

The fucking nerve! Calling me by my actual name. I'm not in the mood for his shit tonight.

Furious, I replied.

No. I know exactly who I'm speaking to. This is the sixth time this month you've ditched me. It's clearly over between us.

When I get back home, I'll pack my things and go to my sister's.

Swiping bitter tears from my cheek, I stood on the path, witnessing his name flash across my phone. I ignored the first call but chose to answer the second.

"What, Andrew?" I hissed.

"Talia. Don't use that tone with me," he whispered.

"Fuck you, Andrew!"

"Talia... You need to dial it back a bit, little girl, or—"

"Or what? You'll punish me? You'd actually have to be around to do so. Which you never are anymore."