Chapter 1

"Nora!"

I tremble in fear. The voice calling my name from next door makes my hands freeze immediately. He walks in with his bloodshot eyes and I can guess what is coming. I bite my lip. The small kitchen seems way too narrow at this instant, and I instinctively step back as he approaches.

He raises his hand and, before I can say a word, slaps me.

"Don't run away when I'm calling you!"

I can feel the burn on my cheek and do my best to keep my eyes down. If I look him in the eyes, he will get even madder. He unleashes at me, his voice echoing with anger in the room.

"Why is the food not ready, huh? Everyone is waiting because of you! Do you think you can make everyone wait? Are you happy to make us wait? You useless trash! The Alpha is mad at me because of you!"

The slaps keep coming before I even get a chance to talk back. He doesn't care for my explanation. Why is it so unfair? It isn't my fault! Rory and Bill came late with the groceries they were supposed to bring hours ago! I had to start later than planned and despite that, I tried to get it done as fast as possible, I really did! But it was just an impossible task. Why do I get a beating?

My brother doesn't care; he won't listen to me. He is just a mad, angry beast. I can only try to cover my face with my arms as the blows keep coming.

"Brother, please, stop!" I beg as my tears run down.

"Who are you calling your brother? I have no useless trash sister like you!"

I am his blood sister! How can he say that? His words are as painful as his hits. Alec used to care for me. He used to love me and play with me. But that was a long time ago, in our childhood. Everything changed for the worst when our parents died. He was twelve and I was seven.

He found us late, on a stormy night, in a bloodbath. I remember it all. The horror on his face, the shock in his eyes, and how he ran away from the scene. His attitude changed completely after that.

He finally stops hitting me, out of breath, but still red from anger. It hurts so much. I keep my arms up around myself, just in case, but he steps back. "Hurry up! I'll kill you if you don't hurry! You useless thing!"

He leaves the room and I slowly lower my arms, still shaking. I try not to cry, but I can feel tears filling my eyes. I get up, ignoring the pain. I need to finish cooking...

I try not to touch the painful areas. It hurts so badly. New bruises will add to the ones I already have. Sometimes it hurts for days and the pain won't let me sleep. Can I ever escape this? Sometimes, I fear he will really end up killing me.

I finish cooking and bring the plates to the dining hall. Many pairs of eyes follow my every move. Some pack members smirk after me, while some pretend I don't exist. I prefer the latter. I keep my eyes down and put one plate on the table after another, hoping no one is in the mood to mess with me today.

I'm almost done serving when I can feel something on my thigh. A big hand is gripping me! I get away from the disgusting touch with a shiver and realize it's Marcus. He is more than twice my age and a real pervert. I can't hold back a squeak of disgust and step away hurriedly.

At the end of the table, our Alpha, Vince, hits the table with his fist as soon as he hears me, making me jump. "Nora! Shut up and get out of here! Who wants to see your face when we are about to eat! Get out!"

I run away from this room filled with looks of hate and disgust. Some members of the pack even smirk or whistle when I walk by them. I quickly cover my scar with my hair as I exit the room.