Chapter 1

Yujiro ignored the whispers of his new subordinates as he walked by them on his way to the front. This was all new to him and he was determined to let them know he would not disappoint them as captain of the seventh division. Lieutenant Rindo was waiting for him at the front, bowing when Yujiro was close.

Acknowledging the respect with a nod, Yujiro turned to his squad, "I am Yujiro Kiryu, your new captain. I know the shinigami of the eighth division are fiercely loyal and I admire that. I wish I could have taken over command of this division under better circumstances. Captain Iba was a strong and just man. I hope to live up to his legacy as best I can. So will you all assist me in ensuring that this division would not shape the late Captain Iba?"

"Yes, Sir!"

The voices of the division rang throughout the eighth division barracks.

Much like Yujiro himself, it seemed that Captain Iba was a lover of plants. the were at least ten in his office.

Would you like me to remove them, Captain? signed Lieutenant Rindo.

"No. I like them. Ill make sure to water them everyday."

The lieutenant simply nodded.

"Lieutenant Iba did a brilliant job as captain but I feel we need more refining of our division. Starting tomorrow, we will start training from scratch. We will train in every aspect of being a shinigami. Make sure to tell everyone."

Yes, Captain.

Lieutenant Rindo bowed and took his leave. Yujiro found him to be incredibly mysterious. He would make sure to get to know his lieutenant well. They needed to be a well oiled machine, after all.

"What do you want?" Yujiro said to the empty room.

She appeared in a flash. Her dark skin, purple hair and cat-like eyes mirroring his own visage. Yoruichi Shihouin.

"Why do I need an excuse to see my cousin's son."

"Cut the garbage, Yoruichi, I've got work to do."

"Fine, Captain."

She grabbed a chair and made herself comfy at the opposite side of his desk.

"Kisuke's working on a vaccine for the Reishi Eating Virus. He said that between him and Mayuri, one is bound to beat the other to a cure."

"But of course that's not why you're here."

"Sharp as always. Kisuke discovered that the virus is synthetic."

"In other words someone made."

"Yes. And they spread it in the seireitei."

"Why haven't you brought this information to Head Captain Kyoraku?"

"Because the less people know the better."

Yujiro stared at her glaringly, "You suspect one of the Captains?"

A moment of silence passed between the two.

Relenting, she said, "Yes."

"Who?"

"So far our lead suspect is Mayuri."

"That's way too obvious for it to be him."

"Exactly. That's why I will be investigating him as an external investigator as commanded by Kyoraku."

"Why not ask Soi Fon?"

"She's a suspect too. All the captains are."

"What about me?"

"I trust you. And besides you're not smart enough to engineer a killer virus. You're a good man but not a scientist."

"Why should I do this?"

"Because you are good, Yujiro. Yuki made sure of that."

In a flash she was gone. Where she had just sat was nothing but empty space.

Now alone in the room, Yujiro, felt for the first time the true weight of being a captain of the Gotei Thirteen.