1

"Is there a house?"  I ask as I step out of the car.
"I think it's half a house." My brother Peter jokes.  "Uh huh."  "It's home sweet home!" Our mom interrupts as she opens the trunk of the car.

"Ah, let's get, uh, cozy. OK." She says as she picks up a box and hands it to me".  Then her and peter pick up a few boxes and we walk down to the house.

"Oh, man. Vince.  He was sad when he was sober." Our mother says as we approach the door.  "Vince was sober?" I say sarcastically.  "Yeah, when it counted." She says as she opens the door and walks inside and we follow her.  I reach next to the door and flip a switch.

"Ah, we're in business."  My mom sighs as she looks over at me and smiles.
"I'm gonna go for a walk." Peter says as he sets the box down on the table.  "OK."  "Go to town." He adds.  "Yeah. Hang those herbs up, though, before you go." "Oh, man. Oh, this is just...Oh, baby."
"Bye, Mom!, Bye sis!" Peter says as he closes the door behind him.

When Peter comes back it's near dusk.  "You didn't need my help at all to clean up this place."  He says as he walks up to me on the hammock.  "Oh, Mom cleaned!".  "Oh".  He says as he joins me on the hammock.

"Your a gypsy", a young girl with dark hair says as she approaches me and my brother. "And your a stalker", my brother Peter says back as he throws another empty beer bottle on the ground.

"I've seen you swimming in my grandparents pond" the girls says. "So you've seen me naked?", he lifts an eyebrow. "I don't care" the girl reply's.

"It's just that I'm a novelist so it's important to me to understand peoples motivations". Says the girl as she waves her notepad in the air.
"Your a novelist, huh?" I interrupt; "interesting".
The girl shifts her eyes from me, back to my brother, "why swim in their pond when the rivers right there?". " 'cause the river's polluted as balls" my brother takes a sip of his beer and continues; "and to get your facts straight I'm only a half-breed... technically".

I scoff; "Our grandfather, Nicolai, he was full kalderash Roma from the Carpathians, but... he came to the states and he married gadje woman."
"What does any of that mean?" The girl says confused. "It means us Rumanceks will forever ride the earth on two horses with one ass." My brother winks and then he shifts back to the girl and holds a beer out, "you want a beer?" He offers.

The girl shakes her head. "Beer kills brain cells". Peter laughs; "Ah, some of us have extra, then" he says as he tosses the beer over to me.

"Well then the guy who used to live here must have been." She pauses as she looks around and then says "a rocket scientist", "What happened to him?".

I interrupt again; "Vince, our uncle, died of alcohol poisoning". The girl ignores me again and starts walking over to a tree.
"Do you worship the devil?" She says as she point to the star carved into the tree. My brother laughs and looks over to me, "do we worship the devil, she says."
I roll my eyes and walk over to the tree next to the girl and point to the star, "each point represents an element, the topmost being the soul". My brother walks over to join us and adds in, "plus it looks fuckin' metal".

The girl looks confused. "What?" Her face then shifts from confused to shocked, "Are you a werewolf?". I roll my eyes and whisper under my breath, "Now we know who your literary references are."

My brother giggles. "You gonna find me a vampire to have a sexless three-way with?", he jokes.
"Gross" the girl shivers. "But your index and middle fingers are the same length. And they say that makes you a werewolf."
"Jesus", I scoff.

"Where did you get something like that?", says Peter. "I don't know. Tv or whatever." The girl start rocking on her heels. "So, are you a werewolf, or what?"
Peter takes a drink from his beer and shrugs, "sure... are you a retard?", "no". "My heightened werewolf senses indicate otherwise." "I don't think your supposed to use that word". Peter looks over to me and nods; "yeah 'werewolf' is pretty racist", "I prefer 'sexy man-beast' ".

"Again, gross. I mean 'retard' ". "I know what you mean".

I turn my head as I hear sirens whooping, and see a cop car driving slowly past us.
"That's Tom" the girl smiles as she waves towards the police car. "Tom?" I question and for the first time since I've said a word to this ridiculous little girl, she replies; "he's my friends dad. He's cool." "I go to school with his kids".
Peter butts in, "No, Ha . Know when to say when"

"Your weird", the girl says frowning her eyebrows in a confused way.
"There's the door" my brother motions towards the stairs leading to the road. "And kind of mean", "but good material". The girl starts towards the stairs and I wave. "I'm a patron of the arts" my brother says as he holds his bottle of beer in the air. "Welcome to the neighborhood" the girl waves.

I think I'm going to end this scene here, I hope you liked it. Leave me some feedback if you want. I will try to write more soon!