CHAPTER SIX

...

DEVON

...

The sun was beginning its descent beneath the horizon, its golden hue lending an eerie glow to the sparse, dwindling daylight. My heart pounded in my chest, rivaled only by the clock's insistence on marking every passing moment—a cruel reminder of my growing concern. I leaned heavily on the barn's wooden windowsill, my eyes scanning the serene tiny dune on the outskirts of our village.

Furrowed brows mirrored the creases in my palms as they tightened around the sill—the gnarled wood digging into my fingers, grounding my wavering hope. Patience had never been my strongest virtue, but today it was being mercilessly tested. My mind was a whirlpool of apprehension, as blood rushed in my ears, muffling the distant village chatters and interrupting my thoughts. I felt a pit forming in my stomach. Where was Wes?

Every passing second amplified my fears. What if Wes had been caught by dad? That dreaded thought, casting an ominous shadow over my wavering heart, was something I had feared for so long that it felt real. The chatter of our village community could barely be heard over the cacophony of my own troubled thoughts.

Suddenly, a familiar sight on the distant dune breathed life back into my hopes. Wes's figure had appeared, a silhouette against the setting sun. He was running, a tiny, swift speck against the baked, golden dune. The sight felt like a balm to my edgy nerves.

The anticipation was unbearable as I paced and watched him approach, the hollow tap of my boots accompanied by my own quickened heartbeat. The barn's entrance, a dilapidated trap-door barring the floor, creaked open. And there he was, Wes—with disheveled hair, cheeks flushed with exertion, his eyes wide with anticipation, or perhaps dread.

"Are you okay?" I ask, helping him to climb up the haystack. "Did you find out something?"

"Yes."

"...And?"

Wesa puffs, falling on his back. His big black eyes land on the ceiling, becoming a little sad.

"Your father, Dev... He isn't who you think he is. Mr Rufus..." Swallowing, he glances at me with unusual worry. "He works for the ISA."

"What?!" I jump up, exclaiming.

"I saw the papers with the calculations of monthly provisions he sends to the convicted people there! I think he's taking a part in some radical conspiracy!..."

"No, no! That cannot be true... "I blink hard a few times, as if that will make me wake up.

Breathing out, I lay down next to him. Familiar scent of lemon grass oil soothes my shock a little. Wesa touches my wrist, interlocking our fingers. His are too cold, as always.

"From what I understood, they plan to make an escape and free these people on the ISA. They want to help these criminals run free to our lands, Dev!"

"...I see."

"Don't you believe me?!" He raises on his elbows with questionable look.

"I do. It's all just... Too shocking. Dad... He just never talked about any of this."

I hide my frustration, shielding my face with palms.

"Makes sense." Saying this, Wesa turns on his side opposite of me.

What does? What? I want to keep questioning him, but put away that idea. What else can he say to me?... What all that means? Dad wanting to help criminals on the ISA? If only I knew...