Chapter 2

As soon as she stepped outside she remembered it was winter.

Instantly, the cold nipped at her cheeks, and a surprisingly bitter wind tracked goose bumps down both bare arms. What was she doing, dressed in a tank top? She was about to run inside and grab a coat, when she spotted a familiar car rounding the corner, wheels already wrapped in snow chains from last night's flurry.

"Come on!" Alya stuck out her head as the car screeched to a stop, and Marinette bundled inside, the calls of both twins greeting her as her cold hands fumbled with the seatbelt.

"So – Alya tells me you're planning a Christmas party." Otis Cesaire glanced back at her, glasses on his forehead as usual.

Marinette blinked – her mind blank. There was a pause, Alya casting her an anxious glance from the front. "Yeah – the whole class made the decorations last night, and we don't have any classes for five days!"

Suddenly, the events of yesterday flooded back to her, the party, the excitement of making all their decorations – Adrien.

After what happened, it had been hard to concentrate on anything at all.

"Can we come! Can we come!"

Ella and Etta bounced up and down in their booster seats, which juddered dangerously. Those things were child proof... But twin proof?

"If you're very, very good." Alya smiled sweetly at them both, immediately restoring peace. 

"Yeah, it was really fun." Marinette tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, and nibbled at her pinky.

"But Miss says we'll be greeting people and serving canapes all night!"

Alya launched into a moan about the fact they'd be greeting all night and missing the party – and Marinette couldn't help but agree. What if, when she was doing her job, Adrian asked for a dance? And she'd have to say no, because Alya would totally kill her if she left her alone.

Adrien... She gazed at the passing buildings, bedecked with lights, and knew that he shone brighter than any out there. The thought of dancing with him brought butterflies to her stomach, with his perfect face smiling so gently, hand around her waist as they slow danced in blissful content...

"Alright, all out!" The car screeched to a stop, and Marinette flew into Alya's chair with the momentum.

"Ugh..." She groaned, banging her head against the armrest.

"I know, I know." Alya hopped out, and began to drag her limp body from the car. "But you've gotta do it! For education!"

"I don't want to!" She whined. 

Alya just rolled her eyes, and pressed a large lollipop into her hand. "I think someone didn't have breakfast..."

Today was a day that needed a lollipop, Marinette concluded, trudging through the muddy slush that had collected at the base of the steps. Looking up, the sky was a gloomy purple, clashing with the yellow brick of the school, setting her teeth on edge. Or maybe that was just the sugar.

But when they entered the courtyard, something was most definitely wrong.

The courtyard was the space they all hung out before school, usually filled with Chloe's screams and Ivan's roars and the thrum of Alix's roller-skates as she flipped and dipped.

But there was nothing.

It was empty.

 The wind whistled through the rafters, interrupted only by the faint sound of Ms Bustier's strained voice and the shouts of 20 children all clamouring over one another.