Gorsedaisy's Advice

"May I come in?" Rainbur asked, poking his head into the den. Neither elder seemed to hear him, Gorsedaisy holding Greydusk's tail down while she groomed the dirt off. He grumbled as she did, clearly not caring if she got it clean at all.

Rainbur decided to enter, padding carefully around Grebeglade, who was snoozing, curled in her nest.

Finally, as Rainbur neared, Gorsedaisy and Greydusk noticed his presence. She nodded in greeting, well he blinked, opened his jaws, then closed them and rested his head back on top of his paw.

Rainbur dipped his head to them respectfully, sitting with his tail curled neatly around his paws. "May I ask your opinion?" he asked Gorsedaisy. He felt wary, the old she-cat hadn't been herself for some moons now, it was why they hadn't immediately reinstated her position as medicine cat. He was sure the responsibility would be too much for the elderly Gorsedaisy, but perhaps her brain was still in some parts well enough to give reasonable advice.

Gorsedaisy shrugged. "What else are elders for? There hadn't been a kit to demand a story for a couple moons now. 'Course there was Mossflake's litter, little dears, but then that no good freak murdered her! I always knew he would be trouble! I was an idiot to do nothing!"

Rainbur nodded again, wanting to show that he was listening, and hoping that the bristling she-cat hadn't noticed him inch away. He opted to stay silent until her fur lie flat again. "Right. I'm sure there'll be more soon, but first I wanted to ask what you think we should do about the medicine cat situation? Cedarsky wants to train, but there's no mentor for him–aside from you, of course– but you already worked so hard for so long and I don't think we should–"

"You shouldn't," Gorsedaisy interrupted irritably, then smiled. "A senior warrior, yet you're still so young and foolish. The answer is obvious! Ask for help from your allies!"

Rainbur frowned. "But then they will know our weakness." He knew the argument sounded kit-like, but it was a reasonable concern, wasn't it?

But Gorsedaisy snorted. "Only a monster would take advantage of a Clan that had already lost so much. What are the chances of two having lead at the same time?"

Rainbur let out a breath. She was right. That was one matter solved, for now at least. The next would be more difficult. "What about the leader?"

Gorsedaisy raised her heard and stared through Rainbur for such a long moment, he was beginning to wonder if there was something dangerous creeping up behind him. Then she chuckled. "Not a bright star, are you?" Rainbur had no idea what that meant other than an insult on his intelligence. He had no idea what the knowing smile Gorsedaisy gave him meant either.

"When was the last time you went on a regular patrol?"