𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑: 𝐬𝐧𝐚𝐩 𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐢𝐭

𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐠: 𝐬𝐧𝐚𝐩 𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐢𝐭, 𝐛𝐲 𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐜 𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐤𝐞𝐲𝐬

TW: case talk (murder, sexual assault, knives)

Davina's POV

THE JET WAS QUIET as we read through the case files again; because of the short flight, Hotch had told us just to spend the time familiarising ourselves with the material before we arrived. I flick to the last page again, skimming over the information before dropping it down onto the table.

"You good?" JJ asks from opposite me on the 2-seater.

I look up at her with a limp smile, "There's only so many times you can read about the same horrific way someone's life ended."

She nods, closing her file, "I get it, I felt the same when I started, but unfortunately, it'll get easier to not think too much about it. If you need someone to talk to though, you can always come to me."

"Thanks, JJ." I smile. Although I knew deep down that I'd never take her up on her offer. I've been storing my emotions for so long that it's just become second nature, I know it's not healthy, my therapist used to tell me that enough. But betrayal is real, and I wouldn't let it happen again.

After a few minutes of conscious compartmentalising, the beep of the fasten seatbelt sound brings me back. "Once we're on the ground, I want us to split up," Hotch tells us from beside Rossi as the jet began its descent, "JJ, you and I will head to the precinct to set up, I want to get in touch with the families while their information is still fresh. Reid and Rossi, head to the coroners to get a better look at the bodies. Morgan, can you check out the first two crime scenes, they're cleared now, but there might be something in terms of location which is useful, and then Prentiss and Kavanagh, go and check out the fresh scene, police are keeping it open for us."

Brilliant.

I close my eyes for a moment. This is not what I need on my first day. Obviously, I understood that we would be partnered with each other at some point, on a team of 7, it was going to happen. I was just hoping for a bit more time for yoga, or an anger management session before I had to work with her.

I take a glimpse over to my right at Emily, she held a similar expression of agitation. At least the feeling was mutual. 

Settling my head back into the seat, I prepare not only for landing but for whatever hell these next few hours would be.

I only just catch the awful throw of the SUV keys from Derek. He saunters backwards, giving us a wave as Emily and I are left in the car park of the police precinct. We were heading straight out, the longer we left it, the more compromised the crime scene would be.

I spin the keys on my finger, taking the first steps and walking over to the car. I was soon however followed by the footsteps of Emily; they were too close for my liking.