Don't be a SPOILER!

1

1. CHARACTER DESCRIPTION PARAGRAPHS

EXAMPLES

Naomi - shy, 16 y/o. She live with her mom and has a crush on Kai. She's mute bc....

Doing that is like putting spoilers on a movie poster. The point of a story is for you to actually TELL US the story throughout the book, not the first page. So put all those details into the story piece by piece.

2. LEAVE SOME SUSPICION FOR THE READER

EXAMPLES:

Do: I can't escape it. Everyday, I live in fear of being taken again. Anyone could be aiding the enemy, just waiting for the chance to get close enough.

Dont (or do. Its your choice):
I flinched backwards as the girl reached out to touch me. Ever since I was abducted when I was nine years old, I've had trust issues. I was taken by a man named..

In some cases giving explicit backstory is okay. For example: "I dashed through the forest as my Father pursued me."

However, curiosity is what hooks the reader.

Think of it this way: when we have tea to spill we say "GIRL GUESS WHAT!" Or "You're not gonna believe this mm mm mm" and it grabs the attention of whoever we are talking to. THEN, we tell them the tea.

Let the reader wonder for a little, even if its only for one chapter.

3. Literally...dont be a spolier

For my fellow wattpad-readers you may think that "#rr ugh I hate him now" isn't a spoiler, but it is.

Comments like that spoil the outcome of certain characters or even the whole story for new readers.

Let us find out that Billy-Bob is the opp on our own, please!