Chapter 2

In the beginning he was the prefect boyfriend. Her mind takes her back to the first day that they met.

Life hadn't been easy for her. Losing her father to a car accident at the age of fifteen then her mother abandoning her at her uncle's house a year later.

"Where did your mother go Emily?" her uncle asked.

"She said she was coming back soon Uncle Henry." She replied while handing him the envelope her mother said to give him.

"Hurry inside Em." He ushers her into the house.

"Honey! Emily is here." He called out to his wife, Stacy.

"What's she doing here?" She didn't even try to hide the displeasure in her house.

"I don't know Stacy. Emma dropped her off and left this letter." He grunted.

Stacy rushes to read the letter. After she was done a glint appears in her eyes and she smirks. "We should read the letter out loud."

"Henry, I am sorry to ask you this, but can you look after Emily for me. She reminds too much of John and I can't look at her anymore. It hurts me to do this, but it is what's best for her. You know I never wanted children in the first place. It was her idiot father that convinced me, that we would be good parents. I have never felt a motherly instinct towards Emily. She deserves someone who can be there for her. Please don't look for me."

Hearing that her mother wanted nothing to do with her crushed Emily's heart. She wanted to cry but her father always told her that she shouldn't show people her weakness.

She was lost in her thoughts that she didn't hear her uncle calling her name.

"Emily. Come let me show you to your room." Her uncle tugged her upstairs.

Stacy tried to protest but her uncle glared at his wife, and she pursed her lips.

He quietly opened the door. "This is you room from now Emily." He uncle told her.

She nods her head.

"I will let you know when dinner is ready Em." He smiles at her as he heads towards the door.

Emily finally allows her tears to fall. She could hear Stacy's voice repeat the letter in her head repeatedly. She just wanted her father.

That was two years ago, and life hadn't got any better for Emily.

"That was two years ago Henry." Stacy screamed at her husband.

"I don't care Stacy. She is my family. I will not ask her to go anywhere." Uncle Henry screamed back.

"She is an adult now Henry. She even works now, and you don't allow her pay any bills."

Emily scoffs at that statement. It was true her uncle never asked her to pay the bills, but Stacy made sure that she took money from her every month.

"Olivia does not pay any bills either Stacy."

"How can you compare your own flesh and blood to that girl Henry." Stacy hissed at her husband.

"She is also my flesh and blood Stacy. In case you have forgotten Stacy, I am her uncle" he sneered at his wife.

"How could I forget Henry. Even her own mother didn't want ..." Stacy tried to say as her husband cut her off. "Just stop right there. Drop the case, Stacy! I am never asking her to leave. The only way she will be leaving this is if she wants to." Uncle Henry screamed at his wife as he slammed the door behind,

Emily's heart jolted just a little knowing how much her uncle cared for her.

She easily snuck out the back door. She didn't know where she was heading but her feet were taking her on a journey. She didn't know how longed she had walked but when she regained control of herself. She was at the top of a building. Something inside of her was telling her to jump.

Her will to live got less every day. She didn't even try to put up a fight as she felt her feet walk off the building.

She had finally done it. She had jumped off. The cold air hitting her face as she fell towards the ground. Pain jolted throughout her body. It didn't hurt as much as the realization that she didn't succeed. She was still alive. People suddenly started to surround her numb body. A man was telling her. "Hold on. Help is on the way." But she didn't want to hold on.

The stark smell of hospital disinfect was invading her nostrils as soon as she woke up. Scrunching her eyes at the bright light, made her feel powerless. She slowly opened her eyes and glanced around the silent hospital room. How long had she been there? Closing her eyes, she tries to remember how she had reached to the hospital, but she felt an intense pain in her head. She tries to brush it off but the more she tried to remember, the more the pain in her head had intensified.

Who had brought her here? Did they call her uncle? Her train of thoughts are interrupted as a nurse walked into the room.

"You're finally awake. It's nice to have you back with us." The nurse warmly smiles at her.

She opened her mouth to try and talk but her throat was dry. The nurse understood and gave her a cup of water.

"Now I have a few questions for you. Are you up to answering them?" the nurse warmly asked.

Emily nods her head.

"Can you tell me your name? Your age?"

"My name is Emily Reid and I'm eighteen years old." She hoarsely replies. She winces at the sound of her voice.

"The name of your guardian?"

"Henry Wilson."

"Henry Wilson? That's not the name I have here." The nurse whispers to herself. "Do you know a Xavier Jones?"

She shakes her head.

"He was here when you were brought in and has stayed with you the three days that you were unconsciously." The nurse briefly tells her. "He was probably there at your unfortunate accident."

Accident? It wasn't an accident she had tried to take her own life. Emily made no attempt to correct her statement.

The nurse left the room muttering to herself.

Emily closes her eyes to go back to sleep when suddenly the door opens again. She opens her eyes thinking it was the nurse, but she was met a pair of warm light green eyes.

He was tall and handsome. She didn't want to sound cliché, but he looked like he was made in a lab. He was too good looking to be real. She blinks her eyes twice to make sure that she wasn't dreaming.

Flustered she quickly turns away from him not wanting to make eye contact any longer.

"I'm Xavier" He introduces himself.

The sound of his voice gives Emily butterflies.

"Emily." She timidly replies.

"Pretty name for a pretty face." His honey like voice replied.

She didn't understand what was happening. Her body was reacting to this man on its own.

She blushes and looks at him through her eye lashes as he lets out a throaty laugh.

What she thought had started out to be a great love story had turned into her worst nightmare.