Perfect Summer: Three

When I awoke the next morning, I lay in bed for a few minutes, staring disoriented at the high ceiling and white walls. Where was I? The walls of my apartment were pale pink, and my windows had shutters, unlike these bare windows, which let the sun spear my eyes.

I rolled onto my side, then I remembered. Sitting up to look outside, I noticed the windows had blinds—I’d just forgotten to close them last night. I hadn’t expected to sleep so deeply, but I had been exhausted after the long drive.

I recalled the meeting with the neighbors and groaned. Then and there I made a pledge to avoid them at all cost. I was here to rest, not to account for my life choices to some rude, no matter how sexy she was. All the sex-appeal in the world couldn’t make up for her personality. The woman who could put up with this person deserved an award!

I stretched, then padded downstairs to the kitchen. I was extremely pleased that the house was equipped with everything, including a coffeemaker. I even found an unopened pack of coffee in the fridge, and thanking my aunt silently once again I set out to make some. As I waited for it to brew, I looked through the cupboards and drawers, admiring the sets of dishes and the beautiful trio of mugs with sketches of cities on them: London, Paris, Rome. Perhaps Great Aunt Marnie had intended to keep on collecting them, but hadn’t had the chance. And now they were mine. My property, my responsibility. What was going to happen to them? To these mugs, to the pots and pans, to the pretty cutlery in the kitchen drawer? How would I be able to sell them? They were my aunt’s personal things. But where would I put everything in my tiny apartment back home?

I shook my head, a sharp twinge of guilt spearing through me. On the one hand, I was incredibly grateful my aunt had left this house to me; on the other, the responsibility was overwhelming. My life had been much simpler a week ago. Yet in a way, I wouldn’t change a thing.

I poured myself a cup of coffee in the Rome mug and added sugar that I found in the pantry. I liked my coffee with half a mug of fresh cream, and since there was none of course, I realized I would have to go grocery shopping today. Taking my mug, I headed upstairs. The house didn’t have a porch, but to make up for it, each bedroom had a small balcony. I went to my bedroom, opened the balcony door and stepped out. It was early and the morning air was pleasantly cool. There was a small table and a single chair on the balcony. I used a few tissues to wipe away the dust, then sat down to enjoy my coffee. The view was beautiful from up here, and I could indeed see the light-blue ocean and a patch of sandy beach. I couldn’t wait to go there, to walk on the beach, to look for sand dollars, and see the famous Sea Lion Caves I’d read about.

Whatever happened afterward, I was going to enjoy this vacation. And now that I was here and starting to like the house, new possibilities crossed my mind. I didn’t necessarily need to sell it. I could keep it and rent it, so that I would have a place where I could retire. If that were with a family or as alone as Aunt Marnie had been was a question for another day.

It was beautiful here. The air was fresh, salty and crisp, so clean my lungs were almost in shock. Somewhere in the nearby trees birds were chirping, talking to each other in their own melodious language. Other than going to camp once, this was the closest I’d ever come to experiencing nature. I never thought I’d love it so much. There was something so serene, so peaceful about this place it soothed my brain, as well as my soul. Only now did I realize how tired and overworked I was deep inside, and how much I needed a break to recharge. There was no place in the world I would rather be right this moment.

I sipped my coffee, keeping watch as the neighborhood awoke. There wasn’t much action on this lazy summer day. School was off and most people were probably out of town on vacation. I saw an elderly lady walking her dog, and a smartly-dressed man in his forties getting into a blue Mercedes and driving away. I wondered where he was going so early in the morning. I was about to go inside, when I heard movement next door. Leaning over, I peered over the railing discretely to see if it was Cole, Ayden, or some other family member I hadn’t yet met.

I regretted my move immediately. It was Cole. I almost choked on my coffee at the sight of her. Her legs were long. I had no idea what she did for a living, but anyone could have paid just to see her like this. Thinking she was obnoxious didn’t stop me from noticing how attractive she was.

I swallowed—twice, then finished my coffee. Below, Cole had taken out a lawn mower and was getting ready to start at the edge of the lawn. As though she’d known I was there, she glanced up suddenly and raised one eyebrow in a sort of cocky salute. Then she turned on what must have been the noisiest mower in the world, and blasted my moment of peace and quiet to hell.

I narrowed my eyes, cursing under my breath. It was as though she wanted to punish me for not being close to my great aunt by making my stay here as miserable as possible. I had to go out anyway, so the joke was on her.

I went inside and took a three-minute shower. My complexion didn’t need much enhancement. I generally wore only mascara and red lipstick, for which I had great fondness. I brushed my hair with my special comb, then donned a pair of black shorts and a red tank-top. After slipping my After slipping my feet into ballet flats, I grabbed my bag and headed out.

My heart raced just a little faster as I locked the door, knowing Cole was watching me. As I head to my car, our eyes met. I gave her a brief nod, which she returned, then started the engine and drove away.

I followed the GPS to the supermarket and bought everything I figured I would need for at least a week. Then I drove back home to drop off the groceries and put the perishables in the fridge. I planned to eat something, then spend the day sightseeing. I was relieved that no one was about when I returned to the house. As I unloaded my bags from the trunk, I noticed Cole had mowed my side of the lawn as well. I stared at the perfectly trimmed grass, grateful and pissed off at the same time. She’d probably done this for my great aunt and had continued out of habit, but it meant I had to go over and thank her. I couldn’t be a jerk and let her effort go unacknowledged. Although since she already thought I was a heartless bitch, wouldn’t it serve her right if I did?

Sighing profusely, I carried the bags into the kitchen, then patted my hair and headed over to Cole's front door. Why had I patted my hair? It wasn’t as if I was going there to seduce her! For Heaven’s sake, her wife might answer the door. The last thing I wanted was to look attractive for her. I would just say thank you, ask how much I owed her for the job, and leave.

I knocked and waited a minute before the door opened. Ayden stared up at me with curious dark-brown eyes.

“Hi Ayden, Is Cole home?”

He shook his head “Nope.”

I looked over my shoulder, confused. Her Jeep was in the driveway. “Your mom then?”

Ayden's eyes turned just a little cold. “My mom doesn’t live with us.”

Crap! I’d put my foot in it. Cole was divorced or something of the sort, and this was the most tactless way I could find out about it. I was mortified for embarrassing and upsetting Ayden. I didn’t know much about kids, but he seemed extremely perceptive for his age.

“Oh. I’m sorry to hear that,” I said slowly. “I just wanted to thank Cole for mowing my lawn. I suppose she did this for my great aunt?”

Ayden nodded. A man of few words, just like his mother.

I crammed my hands in my pockets. “Okay, then. Please let her know I stopped by to say thanks and to ask how much I owe her for mowing the lawn.”

Cole's voice came from behind me, making me jump out of my skin.

“You don’t owe me anything. I do it because I want to.”