Perfect Summer: Five

Cole hadn’t been joking. Mo’s Restaurant actually was on the Siuslaw River, a pretty gray building with lots of windows, sitting upon pilings at a thirty degree angle right in the water. The interior was lovely, sporting a nautical décor and rustic feel, and the view was just as spectacular as the food. They advertised the best seafood in town, but for me it was too early for fish. I ordered a cheeseburger, fries and onion rings. Cole and Ayden ordered the same, except they asked for doubles— of course.

It was fantastic eating as fishing boats sailed by and the clean-scented air caressed my nostrils. I could have sat there for hours just watching the water, listening to the country music and the people chattering around us. The place was crowded, yes, but the small town crowd seemed downright soothing to me, compared to that in any restaurant in San Francisco. I’d always thought I was a big city girl, yet I felt unexpectedly cozy here.

I caught Cole watching me, a smile tugging at her lips.

“You like it here,” she observed.

I smiled, wiping my lips with a tissue. My red lipstick was long gone. “Does it show?”

“Rather, it glows. When you came here yesterday you were all pale and had dark circles under your eyes. Now, you look rested and carefree.”

“I slept pretty well,” I admitted. “Haven’t had time for a vacation in years, so yeah, I confess I needed some downtime.”

“This is the best place for it,” Cole said, putting a fry in her mouth.

Next to her, Ayden was focused on his cheeseburger, eating ravenously but well-mannered. I thought Cole had done an amazing job raising the boy. He seemed smart and well-adjusted, and obviously adored his mom. And with good measure. It took a special kind of person to raise a child by herself, and do a decent job.

I didn’t think I could ever bring up a kid on my own. Hell, I didn’t know if I could be a mother and wife without failing miserably. But deep down, I wanted to. I didn’t want to end up like Great Aunt Marnie. As adventure-filled as her life had been, she’d been alone at the end. Sitting here in this quiet small town restaurant with Cole and Ayden, watching them together made me realize I wanted a family of my own someday. I wanted to have what they had, that special, unique relationship.

I spoke before I became too emotional.

“So, Ayden, do you miss school? You’ll be in… what? Fourth grade in September?”

Ayden nodded, then finished eating his bite before he answered. “I don’t really miss school. I see friends every day. And my mom still does some homework with me twice a week,” he said, sliding his eyes toward Cole.

“It’s good for you,” Cole said, raising an amused eyebrow at her son. “They don’t teach you in school what I teach you at home.”

“I know,” Ayden said on a sigh, but underneath there was a hint of pride.

“What does Cole teach you?” I asked, curious.

“Computer stuff,” Ayden replied, dipping a fry in ketchup. “I want to be a programmer.”

“What kind of programmer? A web developer, like your mom?”

Ayden shook his head. “Nah. I want to make computer games. You know, like Minecraft and Fortnite.”

Never having been a fan of computer games, I had no idea what he was talking about, but I nodded, unable to stop myself from smiling. The apple didn’t fall far from the tree—at all. Somehow I was sure Cole was going to do the impossible so that her son would have the chance she’d never had—to do what she loved in life. Admirable, indeed.