CHAPTER 4

CHAPTER 4

"You have returned." Marsakh said, before Thorin even fully opened the doors of her house.

"I have." the lieutenant answered, as he closed them behind "You thought I won't?"

"You wouldn't be the only one." Marsakh said, adding a full bowl of roughly diced vegetables into a rabbit stew, simmering in the cauldron hanging over the fireplace.

"So, you noticed that." Thorin said.

"It would be hard not to, since you spend, what now, half a day deciding whether to leave or not." Marsakh retorted.

"Fair enough." Thorin sat at a table, breaking off a piece of just baked bread.

"So what did you decide?" Marsakh asked, pretending she hadn't noticed his attempt of snatching another piece of bread.

"We are to stay." Thorin said "Well accept the six men you already saw leaving."

"Six?" Marsakh asked, "I saw only three."

"Oh." Thorin was short.

"But the rest of you are definitely staying?" Marsakh asked.

"Yes." Thorin answered, trying to find a suitable moment to sneak yet another bread piece.

"Oh joy." Marsakh whispered, suddenly turning towards him "If you are hungry, eat. The stew won't be ready for another hour."

"I'm good." Thorin jerked as if he was caught stealing "I'll wait."

"Are you sure?" Marsakh persisted, "You haven't eaten since yesterday."

"That's alright." Thorin shook his head "I'll wait."

"As you wish." Marsakh turned back to stirring the stew.

She was meticulous. Working thoroughly, taking her time. Thorin deduced she was enjoying cooking. And it seemed she was quite good at it. And she looked good while doing that. It was only then he checked her out more. And he had to admit he liked what he saw.

Humans always had a certain perception towards orcs. They deemed them ugly, evil beings. How wrong was that perception became apparent as soon as Thorin stepped in Vur-Paan. Orcs were far from being ugly. And judging only by the looks, the lieutenant couldn't remember if he ever saw a woman more beautiful than Marsakh. Regardless of race.

She was strong and slender. With a sculpted, flowing body and legs that seemed to never end. It was obvious she spent most of the time outside. Proof for that was her meticulous garden. Alongside the hunting equipment, as well as various animal hides decorating the walls of the hut. Marsakh had gentle face lines, full lips and mesmerizing, dark eyes full of life and passion. Lush, thick, dark hair, weaved down covering her back in stunning waves.

"You said earlier this is your village." Thorin said, just to break the silence.

"You listened." Marsakh grinned.

"What about the other ladies?" Thorin asked.

"What about them?" Marsakh retorted.

"Where are they from?" Thorin asked.

"From other villages." Marsakh answered.

"And they still arrived knowing what is expected from them?" Thorin sounded genuinely surprised.

"They came knowing very well there are worse things than laying in bed with humans." Marsakh answered "If this stops the loss of our fathers, brothers, friends and lovers to that meaningless war, then that's the easiest choice there is."

Thorin said nothing. He simply could not. He knew what the losing of a loved one meant. He too lost many friends to the war. It even took his own father from him.

"What about you?" Marsakh asked "Where are you from?"

"From Garhmier." Thorin said "But I moved to Issurk, with my father, when I was about ten."

"Issurk?" Marsakh asked "That fortress at the south of Tanmar?"

"Yes." Thorin answered "You know of it?"

"I heard some of my friends mentioning it, ecstatic to go over there." Marsakh's face frowned from the painful memory "Ecstatic they'll be a part of the battle."

Thorin lowered his gaze.

"They went." Marsakh's voice trembled "Never to return."

Thorin remained silent. He knew what she was speaking about. He was there when orcs tried to capture Issurk. He was there through the entire hundred days of the siege. He was there when it ended. When they launched a counteroffensive, chasing the orcs away. Forcing them to leave their injured and dead soldiers. He was there when orcs realized the only thing they managed to accomplish was the loss of thousands upon thousands of young lives.

"Were you there?" Marsakh angrily turned towards him.

Thorin wanted to answer, but changed his mind.

"You were! Surely." Marsakh screamed "You probably even killed a few of us!"

She trembled as the gathered anger overwhelmed her body. It was only then that Thorin noticed she was holding a knife instead of the ladle.

"Did you enjoy it?" Marsakh growled.

Thorin jumped from his chair. Painful memories clearly clouded Marsakh's judgment. She was unaware she was squeezing the blade.

"Why do you hate us?" Marsakh teared.

Thorin closed the distance in a few long strides. At the same time he ripped the left sleeve of his shirt.

"Let it go." he said calmly "Allow me to help you."

"W-what?" only then Marsakh came to her senses, glancing downwards towards her blood-drenched hand.

Thorin carefully took the knife from her, fearful not to make any more damage. The gash was deep, but clean. He inspected it for a few seconds, leading her to the bucket sitting next to the hearth. She washed the wound, offering her hand back to him. Thorin checked the cut once more, before starting to wrap the sleeve over it.

"Do you hate us?" Marsakh asked him.

Their eyes met as soon as she asked. Thorin could no longer see the anger in them. Only thing left was sorrow and pain.

"I used to." Thorin answered "When I was told my father had fallen in one of the battles."

"But not anymore?" Marsakh asked"What changed?"

"I grew older." Thorin said "I figured a thing or two."

"What things?" Marsakh was fast to ask.

"Well for one this war of ours wasn't born out of hate." Thorin tied the ends of a makeshift bandage.

"Then out of what?" Marsakh asked, looking at his work.

"Out of greed. Out of desire to expand." Thorin answered "From both sides."

Marsakh nodded agreeing with him, but at the same time out of gratitude for his care.

"War started because our leaders wanted to strengthen their power." Thorin finished his thought.

"You think?" Marsakh asked.

"I know." Thorin said "I witnessed that quite a few times."

"Funny you say that." Marsakh said "Because so have I."

"We were told we are nothing alike." Thorin said "That we can't live together. That we can't coexist. That we need to hate each other."

"When in fact we are quite similar." Marsakh finished his thoughts.

"Precisely." Thorin nodded.

"So is that the reason you arrived here?" Marsakh asked "To see if we are similar?"

"I came here." Thorin said "Because there are worse things a man can do than meeting a beautiful woman."