CHAPTER 3

Somewhat hidden in a small grove alongside the river Bauden, half way from Pad-Buest to Garhmier, was an inn and a mercantile station. Besides the central object, a three story tavern building, the complex held a store and a stables with a blacksmith. The station was in the ownership of the same family for over a century. And in that time it never stopped with work. Always ready to accept new travelers passing by in search of rest.

And the travelers were always present alongside this route. From various caravans, traveling merchants, hunters and fishermen. To soldiers, mercenaries, and workhands, who in search of easy coin always moved from town to town. The inn was very known to quite a few people. And the reasons for that were almost equal. From delicious food, and good drinks, to the games of fortune the owners tend to organize. With ever hospitable, merry ladies of the night, whose job was to relieve the travelers from the content of their purses, while offering them the unforgettable, sleepless nights. With this, it was easy to attract everyone. As if anyone finding himself near this place, would decide to spend the night outside.

Kilometer and a half to the south of the inn, the group of some forty masked men decided to do exactly that. Once they found a small clearance in the middle of the woods, hidden just enough so no one could spot them from the road, they erected a simple camp. Not because they weren't aware of this area, but for the simple reason they tried to remain unnoticed.

They knew the location of the establishment. Along with the exact number of visitors. Specifically the group who earlier that day sought refuge in the inn. The group they've been following for the past two months across the Kial-raah desert. The group who somehow managed to evade them. The group they were supposed to deal with a long time ago.

Stepping some forty paces away from the camp, a female figure sat under one of the trees which surrounded them. She wanted a moment of peace and silence. Even the faintest of whispers could interrupt her concentration. She pulled her cloak down, and underneath so she could sit on it. She crossed her legs before setting a small, leather pouch in front of her. Out of it, she carefully pulled out a perfectly polished crystal sphere.

She proceeded by placing the ball on the palm of her left hand, lining it some thirty centimeters in front of the face. With her right hand fingers she covered the specific points, forming some sort of cradle around it. She closed her eyes, as she began whispering strange, incomprehensible commands. She repeated it once, twice and then the third time. But nothing happened. Fourth, fifth, sixth. She was chanting twice as fast as before. Seventh, eighth, ninth. She allowed herself to speak a bit louder. Tenth. The sphere sparkled in weak yellowish light. At first shyly, as if a tiny firefly had just woken inside of it. But soon after the small spark spread across the entire surface.

"Master Magnus, can you hear me?" the woman said timidly.

"Mea? Is that you?" a cold voice appeared from inside the sphere.

"Yes master." Mea answered readily "Pardon my interruption, but there has been a development."

"Speak." the voice sent shivers down her spine.

"We found her." Mea said.

"That half-elven abomination?" the voice asked.

"Yes." Mea answered.

"Well done." the voice was excited.

"It will be done in a day or two." Mea said.

"I knew I made the right choice by choosing you for this task." the voice proclaimed.

"Thank you master." Mea's heart fluttered from joy.

"The timing is perfect." the voice sounded pleased "Because I have another job for you."

"What am I to do, master?" Mea asked.

"I've received some concerning news from the north." the voice turned sour. "This needs to be urgently investigated."

"Of course master." Mea answered.

"Be careful and discrete." the voice continued "Those undeserving savages over there persist to refuse our teachings, and resist our views. They would most likely meet you with hostility, if they were to find out who you are."

"I understand." Mea said "We'll be careful."

"For pure blood." the voice came from the sphere, moments before the light completely faded.

"For pure blood." Mea whispered, as she opened her eyes.

It took her a few seconds before she was able to regain all of the senses. And once she did, she realized one of her men was standing just a few paces away.

"You needed something Kar?" Mea said sternly.

"Liem returned a couple of minutes ago." Kar answered submissively "Targets are expected to leave the tavern at first light."

"Splendid!" Mea exclaimed "Tell the men to take a short rest. We must be ready for departure before them."

"Affirmative." Kar answered.

"We can't let them escape this time." Mea said "We have to deal with that half-blood creature today. Our service is needed up north."