The Perfect Gift ~ Hyunlix

Felix woke up early on Christmas Eve morning, stretching his arm out and feeling the empty space next to him. Hyunjin had been gone for nearly a week for a special photo shoot in Paris. He was so proud of his boyfriend and happy he could visit one of his favorite cities on earth, but with each passing day, Felix was growing lonelier.

He texted Hyunjin to say good morning, but because of the time difference, it was actually late at night for him. He didn't get a reply right away, most likely because Hyunjin was busy at the airport getting bags checked and all those other annoying obstacles before boarding.

Felix quickly grew anxious as he started his day. Hyunjin's flight home was supposed to leave that night, Paris time, and he couldn't help having a bad feeling about it. But, he tried his best to ignore the negative thoughts and prayed that Hyunjin would make it home in time to celebrate Christmas together.

Fortunately, Felix didn't have to worry long because Hyunjin finally found the opportunity to reply to his message.

[Hyunjin]:
Good morning my angel <3
We should be boarding shortly

[Felix]:
Okay
I can't wait to see you!

[Hyunjin]:
Me neither
I love you!

[Felix]:
I love you more!

After showering and eating a bit of breakfast, Felix decided to keep himself busy by baking some holiday treats. He pulled out his collection of favorite recipes and selected the perfect ones for Christmas. First up would be sugar cookies decorated with royal icing, something that would definitely keep him busy for a while.

He took out his mixer and got to work adding all the ingredients. Once the dough was a perfect consistency, he set it in the fridge to chill. After a half hour or so, he took it back out and began rolling it flat on the counter. With his favorite Christmas-themed cookie cutters, he created a sheet pan filled with shapes of Santa, snowflakes, stockings, and snowmen.

The house smelled incredible as the cookies were baking and it really was beginning to feel like Christmas Eve. He only wished he had Hyunjin there to help him decorate, especially with his amazing artistic skills.

While the cookies baked, he whipped together the royal icing and poured a bit into several bowls. He added food coloring to make red, green, light blue, and even black. He left the last one white, of course. After the cookies cooled, they would be ready to decorate.

He carefully piped an outline on each cookie, making sure to capture the details of the snowmen's hats and Santa's boots. Then he flooded each section with the appropriate color and set them aside to harden. They truly looked like precious works of art and he almost hated thinking about eating them. But in the end, he at least had to sample a snowflake...for quality control purposes, of course.

Everything was going smoothly, but to really get in the mood, he decided to turn on Christmas music. He happily sang and danced along as he worked away in the kitchen. The next thing he made only required melting some chocolate, as far as cooking went.

He placed a bowl filled with chocolate chips over a boiling pot and gently stirred as they began to melt. Once it was perfectly liquified, he carefully dunked miniature pretzels and set them on wax paper to harden. But, before they got too firm, he quickly coated them with festive sprinkles. Once those were done, he worked on another batch with white chocolate chips.

He cleaned up a bit while he waited for the chocolate-covered pretzels to cool and harden completely. Once they were nice and firm, he gently placed them in a Christmas tin filled with tissue paper. After all, the display was just as important as the food.