Chapter 1

I curled up in a corner, face buried in between my knees. I was in a room of white, like always. It was as long as a grown salt water crocodile. Maybe. I don't know. It seemed the same as the crocodiles I saw in NatGeo. They were really large...

My shoulders jumped when the door suddenly opened. I had been thinking too much about that show, "Happy Croco and Friends" and strayed too much from the topic. I raised my head slightly to the right so I could peek through my hair.

The usual nurse was there, bringing a pointy thing. She waited at the foot of the bed, tapping her foot impatiently. With no other choice, I stood and walked towards the bed. I looked up at her and she sneered. "Hand."

Oh no, was she mad? But I haven't done anything...

I shakily reached my arm towards her, eyeing the needle-like thing. Wrapping a sticky paper(tape) around my bicep and wiping water(she thought) on my hand, she listlessly poked the needle to the back of my hand.

I flinched and attempted to retract my hand from her. She hissed and I closed my eyes, scared of what she might do. When the liquid inside was sucked up, she put a cotton ball on the spot and taped it.

I felt dizzy. My vision was blurring, but I managed to stay up. I couldn't forgive myself if I missed the Afternoon Show. Stumbling around like a drunk, I walked towards the T.V. that was high up the ceiling. The nurse watched me with an eagle's eyes.

Since there was no remote, I had to stand on my toes to reach the T.V. I shakily tried to press the button, but I just couldn't reach it. I stopped for a while and glanced at the nurse. She was looking at me, but she gave no movement to help.

A heavy feeling settled in my heart. I was young, but I could tell she didn't want to be around me, much less help me. My shoulders slumped. I'll try asking her. Yup.

I approached her and she gave me an indifferent look. I reached out and tugged on her sleeve. I was caught by surprise when she swatted my hand away. "Can you not!?" she yelled and I flinched.

I tried to reach out to her again and she backed up; she almost looked scared of me. "O-onee-chan, can you turn the T.V. on...?" I asked hopefully. She stared at me, as if assessing my intentions. She then sighed and did as I asked. My favorite show came on and I heard Spongebob's delirious, "Squidward! Are you here for~~~"

I tugged on her sleeve, and this time, she didn't swat it away. "Thank you." I beamed at her.

Ever since then, onee-chan has always been by my side. She was a friend I could never replace. When every other person, may it be a nurse or doctor, avoided me, she never judged me by my appearance. She didn't care when the others warned her to stay away from me. Although I didn't know why they were afraid of me, I was grateful that she was willing to be my friend nevertheless.

One day, I was allowed to come out of my room. Well, I didn't know whether I was really allowed or not because there were days when they would lock the door and times when they didn't. They didn't seem to mind when I came out of my room that day with onee-chan.

When we were about to turn the corner, we heard voices.

"It's that time of the month, right? Shouldn't we lock that monster up in her room?" Although I didn't know see who was speaking, I could tell it was one of the nurses who came in before. My confusion was evident on my face. I didn't know who they were talking about, but I had a hunch it was me.

"It's fine. She hasn't started daydreaming since that day. She doesn't even know why this is all happening anyway so all's fine." I looked at onee-chan and was about to tell her that eavesdropping on people was bad, but she looked so angry that I couldn't say anything.

"Well, the full moon is only coming up after a few hours. The time it comes out, we'll lock her up." There was silence and I was about to come out when onee-chan held me back. I looked at her, surprised, but she shook her head and told me to keep quiet. Whatever, I'll just make her sneak a chocolate for my dinner today.

"Should we mix in a sleeping pill in her dose for tonight?"

"Hm..." It seemed to be a hum of approval. I felt bad for the person they were talking about. I'd hate it if that happened to me. But then again, it could be me...

"But don't you feel bad for her? She's only ten and yet she has to be treated like this... She doesn't even know why."

"Nonsense! If that monster was let out, who knows what would happen to us!? I was already surprised when the higher ups let her live."

"Sou, sou! How could you pity a monster like that? She is already lucky enough that she receives food for free! Even I have to have a sideline work to afford my expenses." My nose scrunched up in sadness. I wasn't certain it wasn't me, but there was a possibility it was.

Onee-chan suddenly went out of her hiding place. My eyes widened when she stomped towards them angrily. What is she going to do!? I hid myself just in case.

"What do you know about Mirai!? Do you even know what you're saying!? Always babbling Monster, monster, do you even try to understand her!?" I heard her yell, more particularly, at the people talking. So it was really me...

"Wha— What's with you!? I still remember you talked about her like this too! You only stopped after that time!" I felt betrayed. Did she? Well, it wouldn't be a surprise, though. I wasn't of the best of terms with the people here. But I was glad that she, indeed, stopped. If she hadn't, I would've felt worse.

Onee-chan didn't say anything for a few seconds. I felt defeated. My mood rose up when she finally answered; but what she said made my heart drop. "Yes. Indeed, I despised every fiber in her being."

Oh well... She always said I was annoying... And she always scolded me for almost everything... I shouldn't have raised my hopes up, after all...

"But that was before." My head rose when she said that. Really? "Now, it's different. Mirai is a good girl. She may stumble on her footing sometimes and mess around with her food," I think she sounded a bit angry when she said that.

"But, all in all, she's human. Like us. She couldn't hurt a fly." I smiled. Yup, what a good friend I have.

"A fly? Hmph, didn't she kill a drunkard with her Alice long before?" I killed someone... but with Alice? What's that? Can I eat that? I don't even know anymore.

They kept on arguing and people were taking notice of them. Not long after, someone came and stopped them from eventually sharing fists. I sighed and fetched onee-chan.