DREAMER

I was bored that day and I didn't want to step out of my room either but what I saw gave me a mission to uncover a hidden truth. Somewhere in Ghana, where there were few eyes in the air, a typical village, I was sent to serve the nation for 8 months. I never wanted the place and I tried making a few calls to change the situation at hand but it didn't work out. I was tasked to teach in a government school where the students liked me. I found everything difficult in the first 2 months. I would struggle to get water, electricity was a privilege because only the rich farmers could afford it. I didn't like it but it gradually became part of me as I didn't care about my phone and electricity anymore, I would go miles to get water with my bicycle and a few friends and life became good for me.

I won't lie, I was the good-looking teacher in the school and the female teachers I was tasked to work with wouldn't let my penis breathe. I found living in the village very easy now because I had the teachers and students taking care of me. They would wash my clothes and fetch water for me, they would bring foodstuffs from the farm and dried meats which were my favourite. I couldn't say no to every offer and I didn't refuse to return the favour.

It was about the 4th month and I didn't know where my cell phone was. It was the latest iPhone my uncle sent to me from abroad before I came to the village. I was in my room one afternoon, I made a few calls to see which of my girlfriends was less busy but they were all busy and I had to masturbate and get some sleep. I loved porn so I started viewing Snapchat stories with my iPhone hoping to see some porn. My friends used to post them to gain more viewers so, I searched their handles and to my surprise, I was going to be buried the next Saturday. I was dead back home and my funeral was just a week away. I logged into my Facebook and my posters were everywhere on my timeline. I tried reaching my parents and siblings but the AI told me the numbers were not existing. This was a dream I thought so I tried pinching myself to wake up from the dream but there I was, everything was happening live. I was dead and alive at the same time.

How is this happening? I tried replying to the Snapchat story but it didn't work. I tried all my friends but nothing worked later then I couldn't be logged into Snapchat anymore, the application expired a decade ago. A decade? I just got the phone 4 months ago and the software isn't working, applications expired, and I'm dead for 10 years? Someone explain this to me! I screamed and the whole neighbourhood came to my aid but they couldn't believe what I was telling them, some thought I was mad and my girls refused to talk to me because I was mad. I was sent to the clinic and I was chained to one of the other beds waiting for the doctors to attend to me.

I was there for days and I couldn't eat or drink and I refused to talk to the doctors and nurses on duty, I sat quietly thinking about how to get back to my parents and make them know I was safe and sound. I tried all the tricks to get myself from the chains as I saw in the movies but it didn't work out.

One night, after the nurse on duty, left the clinic to meet with his boyfriend under one of the trees, a doctor came to my room, he spoke to me but I couldn't recognize his voice, I asked him if he was new but he didn't reply. He just kept whistling and I felt dizzy listening to the sound he was making. I woke up the next morning thinking I was still in the hospital bed, to my surprise I was in my room, and the same afternoon I was pressing my phone. It felt like a nightmare as I woke up on my bed with bandages wrapped around my head. My phone lay next to me, with a few missed calls from my parents. I didn't understand what was going on or knew what was happening. I hurriedly returned the calls and my mom could feel I was shaking, with my voice but I told them not to worry at all.

"You fell and hit your head on the floor," one of my girlfriends told me, but for how long I replied, she looked at me sadly and replied, 1 hour ago and we thought we had lost you. You have lots of love from the neighbours, they called the doctor for you and you started breathing. I was dead? She hugged me and kissed me all over. You wouldn't be alive if I refused to come over, she said crying in my chest. I raised my hands to reach one of my shirts to clean her tears and I screamed, I had goosebumps all over me, she immediately stopped crying and she held me so tight. I could see the mark of the chains on my wrists but I kept it to myself and I lied. I was hallucinating, I'm fine.