Chapter 10: Setting up a Meeting - part 1

Ambrose and Hedgefield were the first to return. For a moment, it looked like they'd just remain silent, but to Ambrose's surprise, Hedgefield spoke up. "The elder's way of greeting you made me wonder... what it's like to be a Human here?"

Ambrose was caught off guard, both by the question itself and the genuine interest behind it. Even so, he managed to formulate a reply. "Truth be told, I feel out of place most of the time. I don't think Elves and Humans are all that different, but our current diplomatic situation makes it pretty difficult for us."

Hedgefield shook his head. "I'm not asking about Humans in general, I'm asking about you. Do you even agree with all you're doing, or do you merely do it because you're forced to?"

Ambrose wasn't able to answer that easily, so his reply was a hesitant one. "While I do feel forced, I can't say I don't want this either. Does that make sense?" He sighed, as he tried to explain himself. "I've worked most of my life as a medicine man and this ability I've gained suddenly made me able to become some sort of ultimate medicine man. What I've learned so far shows that I'm capable of some things that I would've never thought possible before, such as healing wounds or illness that would normally have a low chance of survival. If anything, sticking around with this group might help me understand that ability all the more."

Hedgefield squinted his eyes. He didn't seem to buy into it. "What if you wouldn't have had that ability. Would you still help the prince out with his investigation?"

Once again, it was difficult for Ambrose to reply. "We've got some sort of informal code among us, as medicine man in the Human Kingdom, namely that we heal all those who need it. We don't look at background, social status, species or race. To that extend, I don't think that I'm doing my job any less well than I'd have done it in the Human Kingdom."

Hedgefield didn't give up that easily. "Wouldn't you rather heal other Humans though? I'm sure the chance that they'd treat you as a second-rate or even third-rate person is a lot less omnipresent among other Humans. In fact, wouldn't someone with your work even be respected?"

Ambrose nodded. Hedgefield was correct and somehow that made him feel driven into a corner. "You're right." He was silent, trying to think of what he really wanted. It was difficult to formulate. If anything, he wasn't really sure of it himself. "I guess I'm curious to see where this all leads. Maybe this ability will develop further and maybe the Elves will start treating me differently. Who knows, maybe my aid as a Human might even make some of them think better of all of us Humans. Besides, I'm already glad to have met you, as well as the others in our group, as you've shown me that the same prejudice isn't present in you guys."

Hedgefield looked a bit startled at that statement. He soon admitted why this was the case. "In all honesty, there was a time when I thought Humans were disgusting, ugly and wretched creatures. My father had some very strong opinions on Humans and on the war against them. He used to say your species should've gone extinct long ago. It's easy to blindly take over such an opinion, but it takes time to let go of it. If it wasn't for my many years in the army, which taught me that our own species was more than capable of everything my father accused Humans to do, I might not even have doubted all that he taught me."

Ambrose was silenced for a moment, once again trying to find an answer. Eventually, he sighed. "Well, at the very least I'm glad you've changed your mind. Let's hope others will follow."

Hedgefield nodded. "Once all of this is over, I'm more than willing to see if I can help that along. Having come from such a place myself, I might be able to convince others more easily."

It was evening when the rest of the group got back together, but there was more than a little bit of awkwardness in the air. It was clear that all of them were mostly used to working solo, so Ambrose eventually tried to break the ice. "Well, Hedgefield and I have been able to talk with a former member of the Elder council..."