ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔑𝔦𝔫𝔢: 𝔙𝔦𝔠𝔱𝔬𝔯𝔶

My battle was drawing closer.

I was taken from the dining hall after breakfast and placed in a room filled with weapons and armour, told that this was my only time to prepare for the fight ahead. I could hear a crowd begin to form outside, and it took a while to notice my hands were shaking.

I knew the others would be watching my fight, and I felt unprepared. Aitan had done this before, he had fought other Champions multiple times, and he had won.

Every single time.

I started to put on my armour after a guard came and told me that I had ten minutes before the battle. It was a slight struggle, but in the end, I had my left arm fully covered in armour, and a shoulder pad on my left side.

Evan had given me tips before breakfast on what parts of the armour I should get. Aitan was big, but slow, so I wanted as much manoeuvrability as possible. But if I needed to, I could block any fatal blows with my armoured arm, making sure I would be protected.

I scan the room, finding my weapons of choice, a gladius and a scimitar. I also grabbed a dagger and strapped it to my calf, just in case.

I hear the one-minute siren, and I breathe slowly to calm my nerves, heading over to the metal sliding doors, preparing myself for the battle. Time ticks by so slowly, the immortal force sliding by. I close my eyes, trying to imagine a situation where I was somewhere else, anywhere else. Just not in the arena, probably about to fight to my death.

The ten-second siren sounds, and the doors slide open.

I walk out, the roar of the crowd washing over me, the bright sun glaring down upon my face, and I feel sweat start to form. Aitan's massive form faced me form the opposite end of the arena. He was wearing a breastplate and to shoulder plates, his back also covered. In his hand was a wicked looking pike, and I see his eyes begin to glow as he charges up his power.

I immediately take note of the shadowed areas of the arena, allowing me to plan to use Marcus' shadow travel abilities. I spot the Champion of Asha himself, watching the fight, his eyes filled with anticipation.

The siren sounded and my eyes snap to Aitan, who starts channelling the wind in order to create a powerful tornado. He directs the wind straight at me, the sky turning grey, and rain starts to fall.

I panic, dropping to the ground as the winds start dragging me towards the Champion of Gyros, crying out in fear.

My eyes meet Marcus', and he shimmers slightly, going into his shadow travel state and then phasing back again.

Then I get an idea.

Using the shadows casted by the tornado, I disappear into the ground, and appear far to the left of where I was before. Aitan looks around to find me, and as soon as he spots my form, the winds redirect at me, and I grin.

This was going to be a lot of fun.

I vanish once more, and laugh as I reappear, getting closer to Aitan each time, a plan formulating in my head.

After appearing directly in front of Aitan, he swings, and I jump, using the powers of Tormoi to propel myself higher, and I flip over Aitan's head, swinging at his exposed legs. I skim one, and he roars, spinning around and grabbing my head, my eyes widen in fear as the pike drives itself into my chest.

Everything fades to black, pain spiking through my body, as scenes of the Soul Soldier and Archer flash before my eyes, Vel's body, limp and lifeless, Marcus and Cam mourning-

Wait. I can't die.

Light floods my vision as I stir in the sand. The cheers of the crowd echoing in my newly reborn ears.

I move my head ever so slightly, and I see Aitan, believing himself to be victorious, facing the crowd, his arms spread wide. My gladius lays in the sand in front of me, and I reach out to it, my hand grasping the sandy handle.

I inch closer to Aitan's back, my strength returning slowly, and I prepare myself for the jump of a lifetime.

Time seems to stretch slowly onwards as I close my eyes, channelling my energy, preparing for the blow.

In a matter of milliseconds, I jump upwards, propelling myself into the air, flipping over until I was above Aitan's head.

With one swing, the crunch of metal against muscle fills the arena, Aitan's head now severed from his body. I land in front of his body, which falls backwards slowly, hitting the sandy ground with a crunch.

Everything is silent, everything is still.

And then the arena erupted into cheers.