Prologue: I Still Hear Your Words

Santa Monica, California
Valentine's Day ❤️
Wednesday, February 14, 2018
(10:00 am)
********************

"Oh come on, Stevie...even you can't be that sound asleep!"

Lindsey was still damp from his morning swim in the ocean as he did his best to wake Stevie for the traditional blueberry pancake breakfast. She was turned over on her side, away from the sunlight streaming in from the windows, a tiny hand with long red nails painted for Valentine's Day on the pillow, her hair illuminated by the sun behind her.

"Okay then, prepare yourself for the kissing attack because it's coming you way in five...four...three..." He climbed onto the bed in the space behind her. "...two...one!" He began to cover her with silly little kisses - her cheek, her neck, her shoulders, her bare arm exposed by the short sleeve of the t-shirt she wore - the t-shirt, The Rolling Stones concert tee Lindsey had put on her just about three weeks ago and told her she'd won fair and square after years of stealing it back and forth from each other. Stevie began to squirm under the covers, shielding her face and bending herself inward towards the pillows, but it was no use. She was awake, and he heard the giggling.

"Okay, okay, I give...uncle!" she said, still giggling. Lindsey kissed her shoulder with flair before plopping down in the space behind her, which he'd only left two hours earlier to walk the two blocks to the pier and go swimming. He formed himself around her and pulled her close him with a sigh.

"Happy Valentine's Day, sweet girl." He kissed the back of her head and she smiled at her favorite of every nickname he had for her. Sweet girl. It had been over twenty years since he'd first called her that, in a rented house not far from there where she had come to spend the weekend with him to record "Twisted" for a movie soundtrack.

"Happy Valentine's Day, sweetheart," she murmured sleepily, her eyes closed again. There was a moment of contentment and silence between them before she opened one eye and called softly to him. "Linds?"

"Mmmm?" He nestled into her neck and kissed her there.

"Are you lying here in this bed with me damp from the ocean?"

They both began to giggle, Lindsey kissing her neck some more before resting his chin on her shoulder. "Guilty," he said. "Are you going to send me away?"

Stevie turned around to face him and had a more serious look in her eyes suddenly as she stroked his cheek. "Never." And she pulled him in for a kiss.

There had been plenty of times in the past few weeks when Stevie had woken up in the middle of the night and assumed it had all been a dream. She would quickly look over at the man who was sound asleep beside her, his arm around her and keeping her safe and warm, and she had to remind herself that it was all real.

They were together.

Lindsey was the one to pull away from the long, passionate kiss and say, "Not that I want you to stop being so affectionate, Stevie, but...you know this is all happening, right? This is real. You and me. Buckingham Nicks."

"Buckingham Nicks." She smiled, running her fingers through his hair. She had been extremely affectionate with him since that first night at the Plaza Hotel in New York, the night Fleetwood Mac had been honored by MusiCares and Lindsey's innocent mocking of Stevie's long-winded but heartfelt speech had angered her so much she had threatened to quit the band. "I'm sorry, sweetheart...I can reel it in, you know. Just say the word."

Lindsey took her in his arms and said, "Absolutely not, sweet girl. It is Valentine's Day, and I intend to kiss you just like that all day long..." His lips grazed hers as he spoke. "And all night..."

Stevie let out a little whimper as their lips met, melting into his kiss. They rolled over in bed until she was lying over him, and she climbed on top of him to straddle him, looking down into his eyes.

"Look at you up there..." Lindsey looked up at her with awe, with such love in his eyes she almost couldn't take it. "My beautiful Stephanie...my sweet girl." She wore nothing but The Rolling Stones t-shirt and a pair of black panties, and her long blonde hair fell in disheveled waves down past her shoulders and was glowing in the morning sunlight. She would be seventy years old in May, but to him, she was the same beautiful girl of twenty-two he'd first seen this way, sitting on top of him and looking down at him with the same shy little grin. "You seem to have me at a disadvantage here," he teased. "Do you intend to stay up there so I can admire you in the sunlight, or do you want me to flip you over and show you exactly how beautiful I think you are right now?"

Stevie giggled timidly, and he felt his heart melt. Almost seventy years old and still so shy, so cute. She traced the line of his jaw with her finger and said, "What, no pancakes?" She gave him a sly smile, and before she knew what was happening he had flipped her over onto her back and she squealed as she landed against the pillow. Lindsey hovered over her, his lips closing in on hers.

"I would much rather eat you for breakfast, sweet girl." He kissed her, then began his trail of kisses down her body as she writhed beneath him and couldn't help the little moans that escaped her, which got closer together as he got lower down to her black panties, dipping his fingers inside. "Mmm...somebody wants to skip the pancakes..." He began to tease her with little kisses along the black silk that covered where she really wanted his mouth to be.

"Lindsey...please..." She couldn't believe he could still do this to her after all these years...couldn't believe it was really happening, that she was actually lying in bed with Lindsey on Valentine's Day after so many years without him. "Baby...please don't tease me anymore." Her voice was a tiny whimper.

"Don't you worry, my sweet girl," he said, slowly gliding her panties down her legs. "I won't tease you anymore...I'll eat you all up."

He kept his promise, and they did not get to the kitchen for blueberry pancakes for a long time.

For the first time in many years, they had a reason to love that it was Valentine's Day.

********************