Chapter Fourteen

'I don't get it, why you don't get the police involved?' My second wife has found my other work. For other men, it would be porn. My second wife doesn't get on well with my eldest daughter and vice versa. Kasia's last theory was that Meredith's lack of real work was a sticking point and Meredith disliked my daughter's apparent coldness. The last time they spoke was at the funeral, which was already two years ago.

Time flies when there is family drama. And already a month has passed since that call with Marion Hardcastle. I have kept busy during that time. And part of my office at home has become dedicated to my so-called side hustle.

Meredith hardly ventures in here, which makes today's incursion that much more dramatic. It's usually just me and whichever New York decorators are in current vogue with Meredith and her friends. Thankfully, I have the final veto on the décor in this part of the apartment. Navy, white and trimmed with oak skirting and comfortable squashy leather couches and armchairs, with the necessary swivel chairs and office furniture.

I was sitting before, going over work for tomorrow but when Meredith enters the room, I stand. Despite what she thinks, I pay attention and I love her and our two children to the fucking moon and back. But I love my eldest just as much. From the start, Meredith found both my mother-in-law and my daughter difficult to get to know and to be friendly with and at some point, she became relieved when Kasia became an adult and her grandmother - well. Did what she did.

'They were from the start. But my daughter is overseas right now and the Boston PD's jurisdiction quite literally stops at the water's edge.'

'Fine. Army then. You're not looking well. I'm worried about you.' She doesn't say it, but I know she's worried about the firm too.

'I look about the same and the firm is on an even stronger level than before.'

'But why this?' She gestures at the wall and my notes that are decidedly not my usual fare. Well, technically the same, but I haven't been this mercenary for a while. Haven't had to be.

'This is what is helping the firm. But the main thing is getting my little girl back.'

'I saw the CIA photos. I don't think she's your little girl anymore.'

Fuck. 'I didn't want you to see those.' I didn't want to see them. Even my contact had shuddered when he passed me the envelope a few weeks ago.

'Neither did I. But I knew there was a reason you're so manic about this.'

Manic. Jesus fucking Christ. 'Considering the situation, I thought I was quite calm about the whole matter.'

'Just explain this to me.'

'Fine. By redirecting resources as I have and shoring up other funds and reinvesting in different sectors, I am making it so that Marion's investors slowly but surely find it necessary to withdraw their financial support. And once I know for sure that my daughter is alive and well, I have measures put in place to deliver the final blow.'

It's been quite a mammoth effort but no one at the office had baulked at it and most relished at the opportunity. I didn't miss being mercenary but it was clear some did. And I would probably need to keep an eye on that.

'That is what is helping you?' She shakes her head. 'The money?'

'This is how the whole world functions, Meredith. This is how she keeps most of her projects going.'

I may just have said it to the wall, for all the good it does. Meredith stalks off and leaves me.

Granted, one wall looks like a policeman's worst idea of a collage, minus the CIA photos but still.

When the phone rings, I jump a little. I pick up the mobile and press the answer option on the screen. I don't recognise the number but most I don't nowadays and more often than not it's a private line.

'This is Richard.' A pause, a few deep breaths and the voice that I've been wanting to hear for nearly a year.

'Hi, Dad.'