The Boy Who Said No

With the sun shining bright and the festival coming to an end, there were people scattered everywhere. All a variety of couples, siblings, and distant relatives. The streets were lined with red lanterns; children dancing in circles, wearing clothed silky kimono that held a soft fabric— being nothing short of fully collared, and yukata made from lightweight cotton and linen.

Stalls were busy serving their customers, handing out takoyaki, okonomiyaki, and dango. Amongst the crowd, a [short/tall] girl stood starstruck with two sticks of dango.

"Where did Inui-kun go?" She huffed and let out a short breath.

She was tired of waiting for her friend. The time passed by slowly and her impatience arose.

Her eyes drooped slightly, thinking he might have ditched her.

The thought made her frown.

Inui had impulsively invited [Y/n] to the festival. She beamed at the gesture. Of course, the girl's happiness died down upon seeing him ask her to wait, after running off to somewhere she did not know of.

Her hands simply grasped the red scarf that lay neatly wrapped around the collared [f/c] kimono.

After spending their contemporary days together, she grew supplemental fondness for the blonde haired male. His presence was radiant and warm, even beyond the warmth she felt during the blazing summer heat. A smile crawled its way on her features as she focused the looming thoughts towards the topic of interest.

A laugh threatened to fall, instead opting for a hum, she kept her lips sealed.

In her memories, he always wore a soft look, his cheeks burning with embarrassment at the compliant nature she held. Of course, the girl could not help the way she would act towards him, her instincts urging a sense of hidden protection for the emerald-eyed male.

Snapping out of the dazed movements, [Y/n] glowered with a sullen frown embracing her attributes.

"He still hasn't returned," the girl stated, squinting her eyes in suspicion.

She observed her surroundings, patience running thin on a strand. The watch occupying her dominant wrist flickered as the time appeared and her eyes widened in concern. It had been roughly thirty minutes since the male's last appearance and he recounted that it would take him five minutes at most.

[Y/n] tensed her muscles, feeling her increased heart rate.

"Something is wrong." Her eyes narrowed.

She paused her movements.

Everything began to feel unclear; certainly Inui Seishu would have returned to her, unless there was an occurrence that left him helpless and unable to do so.

Within the time she spent reminiscing over the daunting possibilities, whispers rounded the festival, haunting her imagination as she heard talks of a little boy with blonde hair experiencing alarming harassment by a group of boys.

She clenched her fists in irritation.

"Oh dear, I saw him. He looked pitiful," a woman whispered. "His blonde hair was soaked in blood."

At the mention of blood, her state of mind ran cold.

"If that's how he ended up, then he deserved it," another woman scoffed in response.

The boy did not deserve it, not at all. [Y/n] tightened her grip on the scarf she wore.

"They were probably teaching him a lesson." The man overheard their conversation and affirmed.