4

The sound of rustling outside my bedroom door awoke me from my sleep. I stayed quiet listening to the sound of footsteps move down the hall. I didn’t own any pets so the sound was surely coming from my dad, Louis or a burglar. Hopefully not the last one.

I glanced over at my alarm clock to see that it was just past 2 in the morning. What would they be doing awake? I continued to listen as the soft footsteps descended down the stairs and moments later the front door opened then closed signifying the person had left.

An unwelcomed grunt escaped my lips as I crawled out of my bed and over to the window. I peeked out through the curtains trying to catch a glimpse of the person. A cool breeze hit my face causing me to involuntarily shiver. I refrained from turning any lights on so I wouldn't catch the person’s attention.

I squinted as I let my eyes adjust to the dark. The streetlights flickered illuminating four figures leaned up against Louis’ new red mustang. Another figure skipped down the steps of the front porch and strolled over to the others embracing them each in a bro hug.

As they pulled away I instantly recognized three of them as Louis, Harry and Niall. After a second I realized the other one was Liam but I couldn’t place my finger on the last one. Mystery boy. I haven’t seen him before. My eyebrows furrowed as I took in their appearance. The casual clothes they were usually dressed in were swapped with more masculine, edgy clothes and their hair was no longer styled perfectly; it was messy.

Liam shocked me the most. His innocent looked was no longer visible. Instead they all looked like… bad boys, or a gang or something. His arms muscles were so defined.

I could feel my mind blowing up with questions. I know that Harry and Louis were friends but I didn’t think Louis was friends with any of the others. Heck I didn’t even think Liam was friends with Niall and Harry. But I guess when I was getting hurt; Liam was pretty fast to retrieve Harry.

My mind raced with confusion and interest.

After finding out everyone loves Louis I shouldn’t be that surprised. But the fact that they’re meeting up at two in the morning made me highly suspicious, along with the way they were dressed. I stayed quiet as I tried to make out their conversation.

“Louis, you sure you want to do this mate?” the mystery man asked.

“Yeah. Someone’s gotta teach those punks a lesson. They need to get it through their brain that they can't go near any of my friends or family.” Louis growled.

“Lou’s right. Besides, we have to head down that way to make a few collections anyways.” Harry spoke.

I replayed the conversation in my head. It wasn’t that hard to figure out. They were going to go beat up the punks that hurt me at school. But the ‘collections’ is what stumped me. What collections did they have to make?

They all went quiet and piled into the car that was parked behind Louis’. Hmm, I hadn’t noticed that before. Liam got into the driver’s seat so it was probably his car. They pulled out of the driveway and the car sped down the street.

I contemplated going up to Louis’ room to see if I could find any clues about what was going on. I knew from the second I moved here Louis was hiding or rather… protecting me from something. I let the curiosity get the better of me and walked across my bedroom, pain searing through me with each movement.

The attic of our house was split into two rooms that were connected by a door that locked from both sides. Each room had its own entrance to the attic. The larger room was Louis’ bedroom and the smaller room I had decorated to become a little private room for myself. Louis was the only one with the key that unlocked his room and I was the only one with a key to unlock my part of the attic.

I punched in the code on the wall and the ceiling door opened up allowing a ladder to come out. I climbed up the ladder carefully and made my way into my room. It was very vintage. I moved quickly across the room and over to the door that led to Louis' room.

The door locked from both sides so neither of us could enter each others room. Come to think of it, most of the rooms in this house have locks. Why are we so secretive?

I unlocked the door on my side and tried to push the door open but it wouldn’t budge meaning Louis had his side locked. I slid a bobby pin from my hair and fumbled with the lock, twisting and turning the hair accessory until I heard it. Click.

I twisted the knob and sure enough the door opened allowing me access to Louis’ room. I glanced inside to find that it was actually pretty clean.

I ruffled through all his drawers and shelves looking for anything that seemed odd but other then a few bundles of cash, I couldn’t find anything. The cash didn’t surprise me though because Louis was never one to enjoy using a debit or credit card.

I made sure everything looked the same as it did when I came in and then made my way back over to the door. I was about to leave when something shiny peeking out from between Louis’ bed and the wall caught my attention.

I crept over and pulled out a brief case with silver latches. I opened it up and felt my breath get caught in my throat.

Louis had a gun in his room.