The Before (Continued)

January 30, 2022

Behind the Door, Unknown.

          The only thing I could see was trees, tall, leafy redwoods that stretched so high, there was barley any sun hitting the grass below my boots. My hand was still on the doorknob, I was afraid that if I let go, I might never be able to go back.

          "Connor!?" I yelled over the birds and other various unfamiliar forest noises. "Connor! Are you here?" 

          Nothing.

          I tried again, "CONNOR!?"

          Nothing.

          I felt like I was going to cry, I was responsible for him, as horrible as he was, I was still trusted with him. A pain arose in my chest, I slid down against the door, my arm twisting in an uncomfortable position. Heavy tears began pouring down my face, soaking my partly soaked jacket. I realized just how hot it was, I began to try to take it off, while crying, with one arm gripping onto a doorknob like my life depended on it.

         The buttons on the collar hooked onto my long knotted hair, pulling a sing strand, making me wince  and try harder. My hand slipped off the doorknob, I untangled my coat, and reached to grab the knob again. I fell back, expecting to hit the door, but I was met with warm dirt and small rocks.

        The door was gone, which confirmed my fears.

         The gravity of the situation hit me, in a week, when Mom and Dad would be back, we would be searched for. I don't know ho long they look for, but Mom doesn't handle loss well, she and Dad will probably leave. We won't find my parents if me and Connor don't find a way out of this place. This horribly perfect forest.

         Is it even real? I felt every moment, I've never had hallucinations before, but I'm sure they don't feel this real.

         I didn't get up, laying on the warm ground seems like the best option right now. What are the chances Connor will walk up and trip over me? Probably close to zero.

        "Why are you crying?"