Chapter 23

(Please read) A/N: okay this was a hard one... I'm sorry it took me so long, but I have to be honest, it was pretty difficult to write. There'll be sensitive topics in this update, such as grief, death, suicidal thoughts so please be discreet. And, a reminder from me to you: you're not alone, if you ever need someone to vent, my dms are always open. I might not give the best advice, but I do know how to listen and be there for people <3

I think it's best if I post this chapter now and then a double one for the weekend? Let me know.

Again, I'm sorry for taking so long and I love you and thank you for still being here with me <3 now, go nuts!!

HARRY'S POV

One thing I learned in this shitty life I was born into was to never get emotionally attached to anyone. Never let people get the small amount of compassion that I have deep in my soul. Never allow others to become some kind of liability for me. Life worked easier that way.

It was less complicated for me to treat my patients as medicine had taught me; find out what was wrong with them, come up with a treatment plan, make them feel better, and send them home. And when that didn't happen, I'd become a madman, not because of the sentimental nature of losing a life, but because something I thought about wasn't enough or it was wrong. Because no matter how developed science is or how strong my efforts are, death would always find a way to mess up my job.

If I ever got attached to someone, I knew that feeling would rip me apart.

When I saw Madelyn trapped in a headlock by a stranger, something shifted inside me.

It was faint, like a grain of sand tucked between your toes, so annoying you can't wipe it off unless you use the strength of your thumbnail to finally flick it off your skin. But that was the thing; despite being small, his presence caused great discomfort.

And right now, it was the least that could describe the feeling that was coursing through my bloodstream.

Putting my hands into fists, I stayed put, sending deathly glares toward Hans and Tomlinson, who weren't doing absolutely anything. They were just trying to talk this man out of it with gentle and assuring words.

All of that while the man was still screaming into Madelyn's ear, threatening to snap her neck in half if any of us tried anything.

She hadn't acknowledged me yet, her teary eyes looking anywhere but our direction. Something tugged at my chest when I saw her lips moving, maybe praying, as her whole body trembled with fear.

"Just let the girl go and we'll help you," Hans said for the second time, trying not to sound desperate. "C'mon, Robert. We've talked about this."

"You haven't done anything to help me!" He roared, his grip growing around Madelyn's neck, making her face go almost purple. "I can still hear them! I don't want them anymore!"

"We know you don't," this time, Louis spoke, taking a tentative step forward, too small Robert didn't notice. "As well as we don't want you to hurt a kid."

Tears streamed down Madelyn's cheeks and somehow, I found myself impressed and curious about her. She clearly had an untold story behind those big, brown eyes. The same eyes that had looked too scared when I first laid my eyes on her and looked too confident the night at my penthouse. Too proud when she figured out a patient's condition and too surprised when we first kissed.

This wasn't the Madelyn I came upon with a few nights ago. This was a little girl scared for her life.

Robert's grip seemed to loosen as I saw the battle in his eyes while Madelyn took a breath filled with relief, her lungs grateful for the small amount of oxygen allowed. Only then, her gaze met with mine.