Chapter One

To most who crossed her path, Esmeria Roman was considered abnormal. She was 5'0, with silky dark brown hair and the most enchanting pair of stormy gray eyes that anyone had ever seen. Her family was a complicated one. Not that she was complaining, they were wonderful in her opinion, but they were considered just as abnormal (if not more so) as Esmeria. Her father was Hades, Lord of the Underworld, and her mother was Persephone, Goddess of Spring.

No one knew that of course. If people found out that her parents were Greek gods, her whole life, everything she had worked so hard to achieve, would go up in smoke. Only two people knew of Esmeria's parentage. The first was Larissa Weems, headmistress of Nevermore Academy, the school for outcasts (Vampires, Sirens, Werewolves, and people with powers in general). The second was Enid Sinclair, one of Esmeria's best friends.

You may be wondering, 'If it's a school for outcasts, why can't anyone know who her parents are?' The answer to that question is that to normies, the gods are simply myths, and it's best that they stay that way. It just makes it easier if the outcasts don't know either.

Esmeria got most of her powers from her mum, being able to manipulate plants and a little bit of the weather. She could manipulate the dead (animals and humans), but she could only do it once every so often, as it took a lot of energy out of her. Which is why she was now lying on Enid Sinclair's bed, half asleep, the young werewolf trying to cheer her up.

"Come on, Esmè! My new roomie's getting here today. Can you at least act happy for me? Please?"

Esmeria groaned, cracking her eyes open to glare at Enid. "You were the one who wanted to cuddle the squirrel, Enid."

Enid pouted, opening her mouth to speak, only to hear the door creak open. Esmeria lifted a finger, speaking the words, "Ding dong." Before rolling over as if to go to sleep while she listened to the voices of those who had entered the room.

"It's so... vivid." She heard a man's voice say, being immediately followed by Enid's perky, "Howdy, roomie!"

She sat up as Larissa Weems spoke. "Wednesday, this is Enid Sinclair."

Esmeria sat up on the bed, five heads turning to look at her, with three unfamiliar faces. The two oldest were a man and a woman, clearly married. The woman was stunning. She was tall, with long black hair and a long black tight-fitting dress. Her husband was shorter, also with black hair, wearing a grey pinstriped suit.

There was a girl standing between them (Wednesday), and she was the most beautiful person Esmeria had ever seen. Her long raven black hair was done into two braids that framed her face, and her fringe stopped just above her equally as dark eyes. Her skin was almost as pale as snow, and her eyes glared out at the room before her.

Esmeria paused for a second, regaining her composure, and walked calmly over to the small group, Weems smiling in a welcoming manner at the brunette's presence. "And this is Esmeria Roman, our resident florist."

Esmeria frowned at the headmistresses little jibe about her powers. "You know I resent the flower jokes, Larissa."

Enid glanced between the two, eventually stepping foward to speak to Wednesday. "Are you feeling okay? You look a little... pale."

Esmeria's eyes widened. "Enid you can't just ask that." She hissed.

Wednesday tilted her head imperceptibly, noticing the brunette's slight Italian accent.

Wednesday's mother moved foward a bit. "Wednesday always looks half dead."

Enid nodded lightly. "Oh." She then surged forward, arms wide for a hug. "Welcome to Ophelia Hall!"