Chapter 1

Caria hated her friends. She was sick of always feeling inferior to them. She was sick of always wondering if they genuinely liked her or if they just tolerated her. She was sick of being there for them when they won awards that she wanted whilst she just got second place. Caria wanted to win.

It didn't matter though. Caria was part of the team that was creating the first caedes with a percentage as high as 83.67%! Her friends with their mediocre jobs and their stupid awards can go suck on that! Ha!
She smiled gleefully as she hurried along the corridor. Her monster was being born today!

"Caria you're late," she heard as she rushed past
"I know, I know!" She cried behind her.

Caria started to slow down as she heard the screams of the 'mother'. As she arrived at the large window separating her and the 'birth' taking place she saw her team.

"You're late," One of the girls in the team whispered.
"I know, Amy. Shhh." Caria whispered back, as she turned her attention to the birth.

Caria was at one of her friends' award ceremonies last night. She and her friend, Jennifer were both finalists so their entire friend group came to support them. She hadn't slept the night before this, she was so excited. Caria was sure that she would win this time.
But sure enough, when it came time to announce the winner, it was not her name that was announced but rather Jennifer. Caria sat there with a smile frozen on her face, clapping as loudly as she could. Jennifer got up and as she walked past her, Caria quietly said, "good job". Jennifer smiled.
Throughout Jennifer's acceptance speech, Caria sat there smiling. She kept smiling until it felt like the ends of her mouth would split open so she could smile wider.

As soon as Jennifer sat down, Caria was one of the first to congratulate her.
"Oh, thanks!" Jennifer smiled, "You did really great too."
"Oh, thanks!" Caria replied.
Caria sat there for the rest of the night. Hearing, "you did really well!", "You'll get it next time!" And "You should feel proud of yourself!".
Caria sat there for the rest of the night trying not to cry.
She sat there, trying to be there for her friends.

After everyone had left, Caria, tired and on the verge of tears, wandered back to the lab.
As soon as she got to the entrance of the labs though, she broke down sobbing. Caria was tired of doing this, if getting her hopes up only for them to come crashing down. To see her friends get everything she wants. She was tired of being second place. She just wanted to win for once.

Without realizing she was already in front of the 'mother'. In truth it was nothing but a soulless shell, purely designed for assisting the creation of the caedes.

Caria sat there crying.
"I don't know what ... I thought was going to happen...It's never ... never me ... why do I think it going to be different... I suppose that's ...my curse...good at everything... great at nothing...I know... I should be happy for them...but I can't help it.. You're the only thing... I have left...please...just be born alright...please...I just want...to be happy... for once" She gasped in between her sobs.
She doesn't remember much else, but when she woke up she was back in her bed. And she's late for work.

The screams of doctors and nurses on the other side of the glass woke her from her thoughts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is my first time writing anything, but I have some spare time and I'm bored so enjoy!