Chapter one: what is it?

“Last one to Mike's house has to give up their favorite action figure!”
Kurt yells as he rides farther down the old sunstained street on his rusted bike.

“Hey! Wait up, that's not fair! I'm not as fast as you guys!”
Miles screams as he tries riding faster down the street while the setting sun blinds him.

“Well, that's not my fault!”
Kurt says laughing as he continues to beat the others to Mike's house.

Kurt, Amber, and Beverly get off their bikes, putting them down in the short freshly cut grass house, and wait at the front of the house for Miles to come not far behind.
Kurt doesn't wait for Miles to put his bike down and knocks on the door of the old yellow 1960s household, and Mike's mom answers the door.

She was in a nice floral dress with her hair looking as if it was just done hours before their arrival.

“Mike's downstairs waiting for you guys already, I believe he has already set up the table.”
  Mrs.Campbell spoke as she opened the door gesturing for them to walk into the house.

The group ran in without hesitation towards the staircase leading to the basement.
They rush down to the rickety wooden stairs to see Mike sitting on the old second-hand couch reading the latest watchmen comic.

Mike jumps up ecstatically from the couch to greet the others.
"Hey, guys!"
He says as he walks toward them.

"what took you so long? feels like I've been waiting for ages!"
Mike said, joining the group, throwing his comic on a small table next to the couch.

"It was Miles. He's slow."
Kurt says, looking at Miles and giving him a side-eye.

"Hey, it's not my fault I'm not as fast as you."
He says, crossing his arms.
"Plus I have an older bike so it doesn't work as well as yours."
Miles continued stating all the points he could think of.

"Well, at least you got here safe, that's all I care about."
Mike said quietly, walking over to the table on which the game is set up, messing with some of the plastic figures laid against the cardboard base.

"Safe?"
Miles says concerned, feeling a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach.

"why would we have been in danger?" Miles questioned nervously fiddling with the zipper on his dark gray sweater.

"Oh you know, there is just this thing - lurking around the area."
Mike says, stepping over to the small window and looking around cautiously.

Mike turns around, looking Kurt in the eyes, lightly nodding. Without Miles noticing Kurt quietly sneaks up behind him.
Kurt holds back a laugh as he jumps at Miles causing Kurt to then fall to the ground.
Miles screams a loud high pitched scream which causes everyone to laugh but himself.

“What the hell man! Don't do that, it's not funny!”
Miles snapped.

Mike and Kurt look at each other trying to hold back but burst out back into laughter.

“Guys stop messing around let's just play the game”
Amber says letting out a sigh as she walks over to the table taking her seat.

“Fine.”

everyone walks over and takes their seats at the table.
Amber whips out a thick script that she had written a month prior for the campaign. everyone is waiting for her to start from where they left off, she starts.