Wait For Me

Having his hand in the grasp of him, he began to walk throughout the darkness that was limbo. Hearing the shouts of the fates, plus the screams of the damned souls made chills go down his back. With a determined look, Fundy continued his journey to the overworld. The voice of Phil's warning echoing in his mind.

"The meanest dog you'll ever meet. He ain't the hound dog in the street. He bears some teeth, tears some skin. But, brother, that's the worst of him. The dog you really got to dread, is the one that howls inside your head. It's him whose howling drives men mad.

And a mind to its undoing."

As he continued the walk, he kept those very words in mind. He was aware from many tales of the three headed dog that Wilbur and Eret had stowed with them in the overworld.

With nervousness, Fundy began to sing to try to calm the situation.

"Wait for me, I'm coming.." he sang gently, feeling the tightness of grip in recognition of the song. With a soft tone, careful not to show the stress that was building within his very soul, Dream sang along with his beloved.

"Wait, I'm comin' with you."

With a smile, the song continued, both of them singing in pure harmony. Stopping for a mere moment, Fundy then began to walk again, heading in a different direction. It seemed as if everything was finally turning back to the way it was. It would be moments now, moments before he was going to be able to see his face within the sunlight.

"Wait for me, I'm comin' too."

The souls within the limbo watched the two lovers. Cheering them on with their own special tune. Giving more motivation to Fundy as the two walked along their path.

"Show the way so we can see! Show the way the world could be. If you can do it, so can he. If he can do it, so can we! Show the way! Show the way the world could be! Show the way so we believe! We will follow where you lead. We will follow if you show the way!"

"Do you think they'll make it?" Eret, the rightful queen herself, turned to her husband, who watched the two, leaning on his hand. The other clasped around a glass of wine. He sipped it, watching Fundy and Dream begin their way out of limbo.

"I don't know." Wilbur responds in a monotone voice. Eret looked at him, eyebrows furrowed at the negativity of the answer. She put her own glass down, now giving him her full attention.

"Wilbur, you let them go." Eret responds, reminding the other of what the deal was with Fundy. Wilbur straightened out his position, looking at her in the beautiful dark brown that belonged in her eyes.

"I let them try." He corrects, putting the glass down. Turning away and continued to watch the two young lovers.

His queen turned his head with her hand, their eyes meeting once more. "And how 'bout you and I?" she questions. That same hand gently moving down and taking Wilbur's hand into her own. The cold soon turned warm. "Are we going to try again?"

Feeling the change in not only their love, but the way of the seasons, the king shook his head. "It's time for spring. We'll try again next fall." he promises. Not only agreeing to try their love again, but to let everything go back to the way it was. For the first time since they fought, his hand trailed to her cheek, cupping it. He could see the smoke start to surround her, it was her time to go back.

"Wait for me?" Eret saw the smoke build up. With her time with her husband coming to a close, she just wanted to make sure he was to keep his promise. Wilbur nods his head.

"I will." he says, planting one more kiss to his wife's lips, watching as she faded away with the smoke. He could feel the temperature turn from warm to cold once more.

Everything was going back to normal.

Hearing the echoes of their song within limbo, Fundy and Dream continued to walk. It wasn't long before the young fox met with Phil again. He looked to him as Phil gave one last warning. His hand tightening around with Dream's once more. As he listened to Phil, he could hear the taunts of the fates, well, more like his doubts being vocalized. Still, he thought of them more as taunts. Karl, Sapnap and Quackity's voices brought nothing but panic. He tried his best to block them out, although it was nearly impossible.

Who are you? Who do you think you are? Who are you? Who are you to lead her?

Who are you to lead them? Who are you to think that you can hold your head up higher than your fellow man?

"You got a lonesome road to walk. And it ain't along the railroad track. And it ain't along the blacktop tar. You've walked a hundred times before. I'll tell you where the real road lies. Between your ears, behind your eyes. That is the path to Paradise. Likewise, the road to ruin.."

Seeing the light that was the tunnel to their freedom, Fundy began to walk towards it. Not once did he look at Dream. Not until he crossed into the light. They had come so far, he was not to risk it over a warning.

Dream began to sing as they got closer, a smile growing on his own face. They would be together again, with the second chance that Wilbur had given.

"I'm coming, wait for me! I hear the walls repeating! The falling of our feet and it sounds like drumming. And we are not alone!"

(Show, show the way)

"I hear the rocks and stones! Echoing our song!"

Just a bit closer. Fundy could taste the sweet crisp air of life. The chants of the souls growing his excitement. He steps out into the dawn of the new day, already seeing the crops begin to flourish, flowers blossoming. Eret was already hard at work to rewind all the evil that had been done by Wilbur. Hearing the distant calls of the souls of limbo, he turned around to greet his love.

"I'm coming!"

Before he could embrace him into his arms, smoke appeared around Dream, consuming him. Both lovers extended their hands out, desperate to grab one another, then, like a snake;

Dream disappeared within the air.