Chapter 8: Sleep Angel

Andrea and I didn't leave Amy's side, even as the sun came up. Both of us had stopped crying and I knew that I needed to check on Atticus, but I couldn't bring myself to stand up, let alone let my son see me like this. Andrea was running her fingers through Amy's hair, while I held Amy's hand, hoping that this was all just a bad dream. 

"Andrea. Faye. I'm so sorry. She's gone. You got to let us take her. We all cared about her and I promise we'll be as gentle as we can" Andrea and I didn't even look up at Lori as she tried to reason with us. I knew that it was only a matter of time before Amy turned. The others had started to clean up, burning the walkers and putting our members of the group into a pile to be buried. 

"They still won't move?" I heard my brother ask from behind me, making me sigh, feeling tears fill my eyes again. 

"They won't even talk to us. They've been there all night. What do we do? Atticus misses his mom and is traumatized" I feel my heart clench. I felt like such a bad mom, not being able to comfort my own son, but I felt numb and a part of me wished that it was me laying there instead of Amy. 

"Can't just leave Amy like that. We need to deal with it same as the others"

"I'll tell them how it is" I heard footsteps walking up to us. Andrea didn't even hesitate to pull her gun, pointing it at my brother and I did nothing to stop her. Rick glanced nervously at me before holding his hands up in defense. 

"Andrea"

"I know how the safety works" Andrea sounded numb as he nodded. 

"All right. Okay. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry" He backed off, giving me a sympathetic look as Andrea lowered the gun, turning back to Amy with new found tears in her eyes. There were many conversations behind me about Daryl thinking that they should just shoot Amy quickly and Jim got bit during the chaos, but I didn't pay any attention as I stared at the bloody bracelet around Amy's wrist. 

"I came to pay my respects. Did I ever mention how I lost my wife?" Dale crouched down next to Andrea with a sad expression. 

"Cancer, wasn't it?" Andrea asked, but I couldn't bring myself to speak, so I just listened to their conversation. 

"Yeah, I dragged her to every doctor, every test. And after all the surgeries and the chemos, she was ready. She accepted it, you know? But I never could. And I spent the last few years so angry. I felt so cheated. Since she passed, you girls were the first people... That I cared anything for" I glanced at Dale, feeling sad for the man before looking back at Amy. 

"This is her birthday?" He asks. 

"Her birthday was always like... like a week long affair. But I somehow always missed it. I was away at college or too busy for kid's parties. She'd call all excited. I always said that I'd make it home and I really always meant to, but I never made it past that phone call" I put my hand on Amy's cheek, wincing at how cold her skin was now. 

"I know things are hard enough for you without adding guilt into the mix, huh?" Silence filled the space between us as Andrea pulled out a mermaid necklace, wrapping it around Amy's neck. 

"And Faye... You loved her and I know she loved you. I'm so sorry, I wish there were better words to say" I looked at Dale, nodding in thanks as he stood up and walked away. 

Suddenly, Amy's chest started rising up and down as a soft moan escaped her lips. Andrea and I looked at her in surprise as her eyes opened. We knew it was too good to be true, but that hope of her being okay was still there. 

"Amy. Amy, I'm sorry" 

"Angel... I'm so sorry" Her eyes were bloodshot as she moaned, pawing at the air. I felt tears fall down my cheeks again as I saw Andrea hold her pistol tightly in her hand.