10 - A Fish Bowl?

Dating.

Where to even begin

Marjorie didn't have much, if really any experience with dating.

She had sexual experiences starting very young that came with living in a variety of places with a variety of people. Some consensual, some not, some residing in the gray area between the two.

She had an affair with her professor when she had just turned 18, and then one single hookup after the fact.

And then there had been Natasha. And that didn't feel like dating. That had felt like finally finding the piece she'd been looking for all along. The completion to a puzzle she didn't know she'd been solving.

She hadn't been looking for Natasha. She hadn't been looking for anyone. She'd quite literally fallen into love.

But she here was, ten years later, nearing 30, ready to try again.

She'd had some flings, I mean of course she had. But nothing real, or serious, or strong.

Anastasia suggested dating apps, but they made Mar's stomach turn and she hated the insincerity of matching with dozens of people and having dozens of meaningless small talk that almost 100% of the time nothing came out of. It was disheartening. It made Mar feel small.

But with Emory, it felt different. It felt like there was potential there.

It had happened naturally and the flirting wasn't awkward or forced. I mean don't get her wrong, it was certainly a little awkward. But with her it was simply the normal baby steps of getting to know someone new. When you don't know their personality, their humor, their way of speaking. And though nerve racking, Marjorie found herself wanting to keep trying. She liked the fact that every time she saw or spoke to Emory, she felt a little more sure of herself. A little more aware of what makes her smile. The kind of sarcasm that makes her giggle and the kind of sarcasm that makes her laugh.

She liked learning about her. About her family and her coworkers and her favorite things. It was nice. It was entertaining. It was interesting.

But...

It was hard.

Marjorie wasn't even sure she wanted to love again.

~~

"Tony?" Marjorie wasn't sure why she was looking at Tony stark as he perused the shelves of her bookshelf, hands in his pockets and sunglasses still over his eyes. She stayed in the doorway for a moment, a flash of panic overtaking her as she remember the last time her and Tony Stark had stood face to face. And the unfortunate flight that took place quickly after. Her stomach felt sour as she stared at him, uncertain, nervous, and a little bit angry.

"It's a nice place you got here" he said, not turning yet to look her way. "I like your taste." Mars eyebrows scrunched in confusion, unsure if he was joking or not.

She had been back from Washington for six months now. She's officially left the world of profiling behind and settled for something much calmer.

"Well I spend most of my time here, I prefer it to be somewhat cozy." With the defeated drop of her shoulders, Marjorie simply shook her head and continued into her office so she could send the email she'd just assured her boss would make it in her inbox by the end of the day. "I really don't have time for this Tony, I have a lot going on today. And to be honest, you're not really on my list of favorite people."

A small side smirk made it's way to his face, his eyes still perusing the trinkets she had scattered about. Gifts, pictures, and cards from people she'd met and worked with over the years. A picture her niece drew, a glass turtle a former client made for her, some unlit candles, and a handmade coin dish from a coworker. She was quite the collector of sentimental artifacts - and she wasn't particularly pleased to have him snooping around.