Prologue

Colter

Colter

"Someone's at the door, Jake," Sadie called out from the kitchen. Annabelle, assisting Sadie in preparing one of Jake's favorite soups, glanced at Sadie.

"I'm going, I'm going," Jake groaned, emerging from the cellar. He opened the front door just as the knocking resumed. Anna and Sadie paused their activities, their attention fixed on the men standing outside, engaged in conversation with Jake.

"My friends and I were wondering if you'd be kind enough to let us warm up a bit before we continue on our travels," one of the men said, his hands shivering from the cold.

"I'm sorry, fellas, but I've got a full house," Jake responded, hoping they would understand the situation. Strangers rarely ventured up to the remote Adler Ranch.

"Well..." The man's voice hardened, and he aimed a revolver at Jake's temple. "I wasn't asking." Anna and Sadie stood up, alarmed, as the group of armed men barged inside.

Jake discreetly reached for a weapon of his own. "I need you to leave my property. Right now," he demanded, pointing his cattleman revolver at the man's chest.

Without hesitation, the man shot Jake in the head. Annabelle felt an indescribable rage welling up inside her, but she knew that any action on her part would likely lead to her own demise. More men streamed into the house, quickly overwhelming any hope she had of avenging Jake's senseless death. She couldn't fathom the anguish that Sadie must have been experiencing, witnessing the brutal murder of the man she loved. Jake didn't deserve such a fate.

"Put the body in the wagon out front and cover it up with whatever you can find, just in case anyone comes by," the man who had killed Jake ordered. He turned to the women. "You two, in the cellar." Anna and Sadie stood frozen, struggling to process the horrifying turn of events. "I'm not going to tell you again!" the man barked, jolting them back to reality.

Reluctantly, Sadie and Annabelle descended into the cellar. The heavy door closed behind them, plunging them into darkness. Their only source of light was a solitary lantern resting on an empty shelf. They shivered in the cold, lacking any source of warmth except for the blankets stored in a nearby cabinet, along with some canned food.

"Wait until Colm hears about this," one of the men boasted. "We've got women, booze, food, and a damn good shelter!"

"Lower your voices, will you? They might be in the cellar, but they can still hear us!" another man cautioned.

"Anna, what are we going to do? I don't want to die like this," Sadie choked out, fighting back tears.

"We wait for an opportunity, and then we escape," Annabelle said quietly, trying to sound reassuring. She handed a blanket to Sadie and wrapped another around herself, seeking warmth. They had no idea how long they would be trapped in this grim situation, but for now, Annabelle would provide comfort to Sadie and devise a plan for their eventual escape.