1

The pair in the cellar were abruptly awakened by a commotion. Shouts, gunshots, footsteps, and loud thuds echoed from within, leaving them bewildered and uncertain about the unfolding events. Gradually, the clamor subsided, giving way to faint voices drifting away from the outside. However, the sound of someone moving about inside persisted. Seizing the opportunity, Sadie burst out of the cellar, closely followed by Annabelle. Sadie armed herself with a kitchen knife, while Annabelle swiftly retrieved her holstered pistol from her gun belt, which was draped across the back of a chair. Confronting them was an unsightly, unarmed man who regarded them with disdain. With his repulsive blonde hair and matching facial hair, except for a shaved chin, he resembled a rodent in Annabelle's eyes.

"Damn O'Driscolls!" he bellowed. Sadie lunged at him, causing him to retreat. "Whoa, feisty little thing, ain't ya?"

"They're not O'Driscolls, Micah. Just look at them," remarked another man with long black hair and a mustache, seemingly more composed than Micah. "Look at what you've done, son." He pointed to a broken lantern, which had ignited a fire in the house. "Let's leave before this place is reduced to ashes."

Sadie set down the knife, and Annabelle swiftly secured her pistol in her saddlebag, intending to holster it later. They remained wary of the men but were greeted by a new face leading Annabelle's horse and an unfamiliar horse out of the stable.

"I apologize if my friend startled you. I'm Dutch, this is Micah, and that's Arthur. We have a nearby camp where you can stay until you figure out your next move," Dutch explained, placing blankets on the back of a smaller white or perlino horse, the snow making it difficult for Annabelle to discern its color.

"Do either of these horses belong to you ladies?" asked Arthur, shielding his eyes from the blowing snow with his hand.

"The chestnut one is mine. The other one belonged to them," Annabelle replied, moving to take the reins of her Turkoman. She mounted the horse. "You should keep that one. He's an innocent horse, impartial to right and wrong."

"She's right, Arthur," Dutch affirmed. "In fact, you need a new horse. Consider him a gift to yourself."

The horse snorted and shook its head, as if in agreement. "You sure?" Arthur asked, uncertain. Dutch nodded, and Arthur tethered the horse to one he was already riding.

Dutch draped a blanket around Sadie's shoulders, while Annabelle stowed her pistol and mounted her horse. "What are your names?" Dutch inquired, assisting Sadie onto Annabelle's horse, assuming she would feel safer with her.

"I'm Annabelle Adler," she responded.

"I'm Sadie Adler. That man in the wagon was my husband," Sadie managed to say, fighting back tears.

"He was my brother," Annabelle added.

"What a tragedy," Dutch lamented, shaking his head as he mounted the small horse, which Annabelle now recognized as an Arabian. "I'm terribly sorry for your loss, ladies."

"I suppose we should head back before this house turns us into ashes," Micah interjected, mounting his horse.

"It wouldn't be on fire if you hadn't knocked over the lantern," Annabelle retorted.

"Now is not the time for arguments. Arthur, have you hitched that horse to yours?" Dutch inquired of the taciturn man.

"Almost," Arthur replied. "Alright, I've got it." He climbed onto his horse. Dutch led the way, followed by Micah, then Annabelle and Sadie, and finally Arthur, leading the other horse.

In silence, they rode back to Colter. As Dutch had described, it was a camp—nothing extravagant, but still preferable to having no shelter at all. Dutch helped Sadie dismount from Annabelle's horse, and Annabelle followed suit. They were greeted by several individuals all at once.

"Charles, my boy, would you mind tethering our horses? These ladies need to settle in," Dutch instructed, as he walked past Sadie and Annabelle. "Miss Grimshaw, could you please assist these girls? Mrs. Adler is now a widow, and Miss Adler has lost her brother, so be gentle with them."

"Beautiful horse," the man Annabelle presumed to be Charles remarked, taking the reins of Mara and leading her to a hitching post.

"Come along, girls. Let's get you cleaned up," Miss Grimshaw said, guiding them inside.

--

Several hours had passed since their arrival, and the storm had subsided for a short while. Sadie had been provided with warm clothing. However, Annabelle declined to change her outfit upon seeing that the only options available were skirts paired with frilly blouses. She stepped outside to smoke a cigarette, needing a moment to herself. As she exhaled a plume of smoke into the frosty air, she noticed Arthur standing alone by the cabin he was staying in, deep in thought.

"Mind if I join you?" Annabelle asked, approaching him cautiously.

Arthur looked up, surprised by her presence. "Sure, go ahead," he replied, gesturing to the open space next to him.

Annabelle stood next to him, her gaze fixed on the ground as she took a drag from her cigarette. "Thank you for everything you did today," she said, breaking the silence. "Saving us from those men... It means a lot."

Arthur sighed, his expression weary. "It's the least I could do. I'm sorry for your loss, Annabelle. Losing family... it's never easy."

Annabelle nodded, "I appreciate your words. It hurts, you know? Losing my brother, my only family left. And Sadie... she lost her husband. It's like everything we had is slipping away."

"I understand," Arthur replied softly, his voice filled with empathy. "Grief can feel overwhelming, like the world is collapsing around you. But you're not alone. You have each other, and you have people here who care."

Annabelle nodded again, "I know, and I'm grateful for that. Dutch and the others have been kind to us. It's just... hard to make sense of everything."

Arthur reached out and placed a hand on her shoulder, offering a comforting touch. "Sometimes, there are no easy answers. Life can be cruel and unfair. All we can do is hold on to what matters most to us and keep moving forward."

Annabelle looked at him, her eyes filled with a mix of sadness and determination. "You're right."

Arthur smiled faintly. "You're both survivors, Annabelle. You've faced hardships before, and you'll face them again. But as long as you stick together, you'll find a way to overcome."

"Thank you, Arthur," she finally said, her voice filled with gratitude. "For being there, for understanding. It means more than you know."

Arthur nodded, his gaze fixed on the fire. "You're welcome, Annabelle. We're all in this together. You and Sadie will get through it."