Mean Girls #1

I have a lot of little snippet ideas for crossovers and such, so I'm gonna start making one-shots! The first one is a Mean Girls one establishing a friendship between Gretchen and Janis, because I think after the events of the musical/movie they'd bond over Plastic trauma.

Featured characters:
Janis Sarkisian
Gretchen Weiners

Non-canon relationships:
Cady Heron x Janis Sarkisian (romantic)
Janis Sarkisian + Gretchen Weiners (platonic)
Plastics + Art Freaks (platonic)

Trigger Warnings:
Language

Talks of self-harm
Talks of bullying
Sexuality crisis

Word Count: 1,977

It had been four months since last year's Spring Fling, with an entire summer and thirty-one days of September back-to-school chaos under our belts. Four months since my girlfriend, Cady Heron, started attempting to mend the rift between the Plastics and us Art Freaks, and despite her best efforts, it was slow going. Which, to be honest, was most likely largely my fault, as I wasn't very interested in being besties with the girls who ruined my life. Sure, they'd changed, they were trying to be better, blah blah blah, but that didn't mean I had any sort of reservations with completely ignoring the three new additions to our lunch table.

It wasn't like I was being hostile on purpose. When Cady tried to force conversation between us and the Plastics, I wouldn't ignore her, I just didn't put in effort. If Regina George wanted to repair our relationship, that was her responsibility. Not mine.

Unfortunately, I also deep down knew that wasn't entire true. And as much as I tried to ignore it, I knew I wasn't being one hundred percent fair. But I didn't care. I spent all of my time either in the art room or my sketchbook, angrily translating my conflicting emotions into large, colorful expressions of landscapes, Damian, flowers, fire, and most of all, Cady, Cady, everywhere Cady. 

Cady from pictures of her in Africa, Cady among friends, Cady in the sweetest memories I could conjure. Everywhere I looked, my girlfriend dominated my paintings.

Sometimes I didn't know how I survived before her. When I was struggling in school (academically and socially), or when I was having a hard time with panic attacks, she was always there to make everything feel just a little bit better. Even Damian didn't have that affect on me.

Other times I wondered if she was going to be the death of me. In the best way possible. Being a tiny autistic girl from Africa with no filter, Cady sometimes said and did things that made me wonder how she survived in the American wild when we weren't around. Like the time she straight-up asked a large tattooed man in a Walmart if he was there buying guns, because she apparently had believed the stereotype a little too much. She was lucky the guy found it so hilarious because for a solid five seconds I was positive he was going to throw her into a shelf of men's hiking boots.

I was so caught up in thoughts of Cady and Regina and all of the issues that came with being a lesbian senior in a public high school, I didn't notice her walk in until she spoke.

"That's really pretty." I jumped, not having expected Gretchen's to be the voice that snuck up on me.

I turned and saw her staring at the painting, a realistic-proportion-but-abstract-color portrait of Cady, laughing her ass off, wearing my favorite painted and patched jean jacket. It was one of my favorite moments since Cady and I had gotten together - a movie date at my house that my photographic memory did not disappoint in recall. That was my favorite part of being an artist - getting to immortalize moments with just a little patience and time.

"Thanks," I said, a little sheepishly. Even though Gretchen had supposedly complimented my work, I still felt defensive. Blame it on years of passive aggressive bullying. "It's not finished yet."