Chapter 8

"Go, Doctor" you say "What's your worst memory of childhood?" Hannibal asks, you hesitate "Quicker than that. I'm not interested in your worst invention" Hannibal says, "the death of my father" you answer "Tell me. Don't lie, or I'll know" Hannibal says, you look past him, hesitating to answer, only able to think about the stuff that just happened. "He was a town Marshall... One night he surprised two burglars, coming out the back of a drugstore... They shot him." you say "Killed outright?" Hannibal asks "No. He was strong, he lasted almost a month. My mother - died when I was very young, so my father had become - the whole world to me... After he left me, I had nobody. I was ten years old." you tell him "Your very frank, Y/N. I think - it would be quite something to know you in private life." Hannibal says "Quid pro quo, Doctor" you remind Hannibal "the significance of the moth is change. Caterpillar into cocoon into beauty... Billy wants to change, too, Y/N. But there's the problem of his size, you see. Even if he were a women. He'd have to be a big one..." Hannibal says, you look puzzled "Dr. Lecter, there's no correlation in the literature between transsexualism and violence. Transsexuals are very passive." You tell Hannibal "Clever girl. Your so close to the way your going to catch him - do you realize that?" Hannibal asks "No. Tell me why." You say "After your father's death, you were orphaned. What happened next?" Hannibal asks, you drop your gaze. "I don't imagine the answers on those second-rate shoes, little lamb." Hannibal continues sarcastically "I went to live my mother's cousin and her husband in Montana. They had a ranch." You say "A cattle ranch?" Hannibal asks "Horses and sheep..." You answer "How long did you live there?" Hannibal asks "two months." You answer "Why so briefly?" Hannibal asks "I... Ran away" You tell him "Why, Y/N? did the rancher fuck you?" Hannibal asks "No" You say angrily "No...! Quid pro quo, Doctor." You say.

"Billy's not a real transsexual, but he thinks he is. He tries to be. He's tried to be a lot of things, I except." Hannibal says "You said... I was very close to the way we'd catch him." You say "there are three major centers for transsexual surgery's: John Hopkins, The University Of Minnesota, and Columbus Medical Center. I wouldn't be surprised if Billy has applied for a sex reassignment at one or all of them, and been rejected." Hannibal says "On what basis would they reject him?" You ask "the personality inventories would trip him up. Rorschach, Wechsler, House-Tree-Person... He wouldn't test like a real transsexual." Hannibal answers "How would he test?" You ask, Dr. Lecter snarls, loudly, stretching. You take a sharp step backwards and Hannibal smiles "You still don't trust me?" Hannibal asks, you look wide eyed staying silent "That makes me sad little lamb" Hannibal continues, grabbing the papers from his food tray "That's enough, I think. Happy hunting. Oh, and Y/N - next time you will tell me why you ran away. Shall I summarize?" Hannibal says "Yes, Doctor. Please." You say.

"You should try to obtain a list of males rejected from all three gender reassignment centers, check first the ones rejected for lying about there criminal records... Among those who tried to conceal there past, look for severe childhood disturbances, associated with violence... Possibly you'll find a childhood incarceration... Then go to there personal tests... Study there drawings, especially. Billy's house drawings will show no happy future... No baby carriage, out in the yard. No pets, no toys, no flowers, no sun... His females will be crudely sketched then his males - but he'll compensate by adding exaggerated adornments... Jewelry, big breasts... And his tree drawings - oh, is trees will be frightful... Billy hates his own identity, he always has - and he thinks that makes him a transsexual. But his pathology is a thousand times more savage... He wants to be reborn, Y/N. He will be reborn..." Hannibal says to you before you start walking away "Wait, little lamb, come here" you stop in your tracks and turn around, you head towards the bars of Hannibal's cell, Hannibal grabs your hand and lifts it to his mouth, he places a gentle kiss on the top of your hand "I'll be waiting to see you again my little lamb, goodbye for now" Hannibal says, your cheeks lit up, and you began to leave again excited for the next time you see him.