Ch. 10- 𝓟𝓵𝓪𝓷𝓼

"We need a spy." Maile says, banging her fist on the mahogany table. "And not one like your mom's fleet, Art, someone who can stalk the 'ambassador.'" She puts air quotes around his title, like she's also in disbelief of his age.

"Heron should do it," Theo suggests, looking at the air guardian hopefully. "With your invisibility and patience, what could go wrong?"

I'm not sure if she's joking about that last part, but I scan the faces around the table, trying to garner an idea. The group is much smaller than I'm used to, only comprised of Maile, Theo, Soren, and Heron. Erik and Sandrin are both manning one of my mother's ships, and the room is much quieter without them.

Heron nods slowly. "I'll need a bigger gem, though. I love the earring, Theo, but I won't be able to hold my invisibility for too long without something stronger."

"I can get you one from the safes." Soren says, and I watch him closely. He knows this castle better than anyone, even Theo, yet he hasn't mentioned safes before. Afraid we would confiscate the gems, maybe.

Theo looks surprised as well, but she takes it in stride. "We should station someone to guard the safes routinely, too. We don't want the ambassador to find them."

Soren agrees, and he and Maile quickly set a rotation. I'm sure they expected me to volunteer, but all my time waiting as Theo's guard has informed me of the boredom of playing soldier.

"So we have Heron watching him, but what if he doesn't slip up?" I ask. "We're going to need someone to interrogate the ambassador without him realizing."

"Can you do that?" Theo questions me. "He'd be too suspicious of me, and everyone else already has a job."

"What, pretend to be his friend? Don't you need someone, like, nice for that?" Soren jokes.

"I can be nice." I growl, very nicely. "People are usually just idiots."

"Oh, sure." Soren says, laughing. "Good luck."

I turn to Theo. "I think we should make Soren do it. I'll take guard duty."

Theo just shakes her head. "You've already gotten more out of him in one walk than the rest of us did in two days. Besides, it's just acting."

I sigh, dramatically. "Fine. I'll make the sacrifices, while you play queen, but if he makes one wrong move, I will kill him."

Only this time, I'm not joking.